Old 7th June 2007, 07:11 PM   #1
windsurferdagg

Send a message via MSN to windsurferdagg
Default the whole life jacket thing

Alright. My mom said that she wants me to get a life jecket or other boyancy device for sailing in the summer when I don't have a wetsuit to give me the boyancy.

I need suggestions on what to get. Do I get an impact vest that works with a waist harness? Do I get a specialized life jacket designed for windsurfing? Or do I just do what I normally do and go out with my harness and rashgaurd + shorts and try and convince her I won't fall or hurt myself?

Thanks for the help. If anyone has any suggestions let me know. If you have any experience with products also let me know. I weigh around 150 lbs and am 6 foot.

Thomas
windsurferdagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2007, 01:15 AM   #2
Duracell

Default RE: the whole life jacket thing

- floatation vest combined with impact vest! (helps with waterstarts too)
- helmet, face protection advisable too
- neoprene too, UV, protects against fin cuts, board scrapes etc.

in sub survival conditions with a wee bit of bad luck you can crack your rib during a catapult (I cracked one of mine last weekend winds gusting 4-9BF impact vest is the next thing on my shopping list). Have the mast land on your head as well and your mom will be really happy.

Duracell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2007, 02:54 AM   #3
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Thomas,
I use a US Coast Guard approved Kayak vest.
I don't wear it often, but when it's "nukin" the vest makes sense.
I tried a bunch of them.... and the vest I got from Perception Kayaks seemed the best.
It's the only one I tried that will turn an unconcious victim face up in the water. It has a bit more padding in the upper front panels to achieve this.
Since you are in Canada, I think on many Canadian waters a PFD is a Canadian Coast Guard requirement. Check on the laws that affect the places that you sail.
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2007, 08:32 AM   #4
windsurferdagg

I do have an older life jacket for kayaking that I can use. It is really bulky and I don't like the design too much. I will have to look into getting another one. I needed it today. I was overpowered on a 6.6 (its an old one too) and wasn't in control all of the time. Plus waterstarting was made difficult by the chop that kept pulling my 6.6 under (others were on 5.8's and 5.0s)

When the gusts came and I just finished a tack (stupid choice but anyways) it seemed like the sail just wanted to get backwinded. I could barley sheet in and could only go upwind. What gives? I had a 48 cm fin (stock one) with my Go 139 and a well tuned 6.6.

tks for the help
Old 9th June 2007, 10:13 AM   #5
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Thomas,
Ummmm..... you are young.
Next time you see all the other sailors on 5.0-5.8 rigs, that should tell you something.
Staying on your 6.6 m2 when all the other sailors are on < 6.0 is probably not a good idea.
The symptons you experienced today are dlassic signs of being WAAAAY overpowered.
Hope this helps,
Old 9th June 2007, 07:16 PM   #6
windsurferdagg

Can you tell me something about my stance in this picture? This is sailing underpowered and trying to get onto a plane. My back foot is a bout to go into the straps and im almost planning if not actually kind of planing.

http://bp2.blogger.com/_pf0ntQsB6Es/RmoGfsxIp7I/AAAAAAAAAD0/ycob1CJ6CiA/s1600-h/Orig_00518.jpg

The things I notice are my arms are bent too much (even though I can always seem to lift both hands off one at a time, I never really hold on to the boom tightly) and my legs should be straighter when I get my back foot into the strap. Any more suggestions?

Tks Roger ad anyone else,

Thomas
Old 10th June 2007, 01:04 AM   #7
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Thomas,
Looks pretty good to me!
I&#39;d say your boom needs to be higher, and until the board has totally dropped over it&#39;s bow wave (it&#39;s almost there in the photo) I&#39;d suggest keeping your rear foot more over the centerline of the board.
Looks like your heel is much closer to the upwind footstrap than the downwind, and this is causing your board to "carve up" slightly (evidnced by the amount of spray to leeward vs windward).
The "too low boom" is evidnced by the amount of bend in your back arm.
At the point you are ready to go for the rear footstrap, you need to have as much of your weight as possible on the rig through the harness and lines. With your boom low, you are putting too much of your weight on your arms vs on the rig via the harness.
It may be just the timing of the photo, but work on keeping your board very flat (rear foot over the center line so you can toe/heel steer)until you are fully planing.
Hope this helps,
Old 10th June 2007, 04:29 AM   #8
windsurferdagg

ok... I can get into the backstrap under mastfoot pressure alone, I don&#39;t have to be planning, it just involves a lot of leaning over the board. I guess I should work on pumping to make that easier. Mind you, we took this picture in underpowered conditions with my rig still set up for overpowered conditions. My harness lines are 22-28 inchs long and I always feel like they are just too short to raise the boom anymore. I am going to look into getting longer ones and that might help. Do you think with my boom up higher, i will get more weight of the board and it will be easier to take the weight off my back foot? should I get into the straps when I am fully planning? or try and get the back one in when I am trying in the picture.

also, is there some way to pump while in the straps and hooked in?

Tks for your help,

Thomas