Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 21st June 2007, 12:21 AM   #1
windsurferdagg

Send a message via MSN to windsurferdagg
Default the bigger ones

Hey again... its me, guy who asks loads of questions.

I just wanted to know some tips for sailing with bigger sails (7.6+). In the last 4 days, iv been able to take out my Naish Redline 7.6 and love it for sailing overpowered. If anyone wants a super fast sail that handles conditions well, try it. But this isn't a Naish add and no, im not sponsored by naish (robby, if you read this gimme a call ) but I did fall three times before the wind got too strong and I switched to my 5.8 (lol I like sailing overpowered a lot ). waterstarting sucks with big sails like that, especially without wearing a wetsuit or life jacket/boyancy aid to help you get the sail out of the water. Once I get the wind under it, im up and away, it just seems to take SOOO long to get the sail flying, and the more overpowered you are, the sail just doesn't want to stay still (the mast starts to point into the wind) and its impossible to get it up in control.

So I was wondering if anyone had any tips to get the sail to thte surface and flying easier. I do like the one I discovered, where you get the sail perpendicular to the wind, get on the board and sit on the opposite rail that the sail is on, which lifts the mast and pulls the sail to the surface) but after that, its hard to get it up. Cams I guess make a big difference too. I just find, especially in chop, gettting it up sucks and really tires me out.

So if anyone has any great tips on getting the sail flying faster, let me know! I want to spend more time practicing my carve jibes and jumps rather than struggling in the water trying to get the sail flying (I have no problem with 5.8 down as they are swim into wind, drag sail across your body, free clew and up you go)

Tks for the help anybody...

Thomas
windsurferdagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2007, 03:35 AM   #2

Default RE: The Bigger Ones

Good morning,

For what it's worth:

Use the highest-content carbon (lightest mast) you can afford. Carbon masts with 100% carbon are the lightest and make a world of difference when trying to get the sail flying.

When the sail is down in the water, swim to the tip of the mast, turn the mast into the wind, then lift the tip only. The wind should start to get under the sail and help you get it up.

In low wind speeds, none of the above will be much help, so get an Easy-Uphaul and I can guarantee that you will always be able to break the sail from the suction of the water. I use them on my 7.5 and 8.5m sails.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Windman
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2007, 10:44 AM   #3
Del Carpenter

Default RE: the bigger ones

I second Windman's recommendation of the Easy-Uphaul whether you use it with a harness hook or just with your hands. It changes the angle of the pull which gives you a mechanical advantage. I use one (or a version I made myself) on all of my booms. With smaller sails I use it just with my hands, for the bigger sails I use it with my harness hook. It really helps get sails that first 6 inches or more out of the water. They also have an "Easy-Waterstarter" which I have not used. The two sailors I've talked to who had the "Easy-Waterstarter" said that works for them too.
Del Carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2007, 11:13 AM   #4
James

The trick about lifting the mast tip out of the water is good.

Also, wearing a life jacket helps a lot. It may look funny, but it will save you a lot of energy on the waterstarts. Some kayaking lifejackets are good for windsurfing because they leave lots of room for the harness.
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2007, 03:03 PM   #5

floatation vest is mandatory!

you can swim around your sail if you feel like it...

or

you can also just have the mast rest on the board between the back straps and just shove the nose of the board into the wind, wind will then automatically catch under the sail. With one hand on the back of your board and the other lift your sail you should try swimming slightly into the wind to make sure the clew doesn't dig into the water.

== minimum effort, minimum time

if your sail should still be flyable but on the wrong side of the board you can try waterstarting with the clew pointing towards the nose (fun trick) or just like when preparing a beach start have the wind/sail move your board around and then "boomshaka" flip your sail and waterstart the old fashioned way. Best is to while falling concentrate on keeping the sail flying. After falling after a jump you might get away with just leaving your feet in the straps if you were able to keep your sail flying and just waterstart straight from the straps.
Old 21st June 2007, 06:59 PM   #6
windsurferdagg

I do go out in lighter winds when I do not hve enough wind to water start sometimes. I like the idea of having that easy uphauler, I just don't wanna spend money like that when I need a 5.0, smaller boom and a new harness (all the stuff is old and falling apart )

How did you make your own easy uphaul?

Thomas
Old 21st June 2007, 10:00 PM   #7
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Thomas,
What mast are you using? (What carbon percentage...?)
Are you sailing the GO 139?
If so, you should be able to uphaul a 7.8 m2 rig even in overpowering conditions.
Are you using your legs/thighs to pull the sail from the water, or are you using your lower back muscles?
Have you tried using your wrist (with your hand on the upwind back footstrap) as a support so you can get the sail to fly?
Lots of little "tricks" here.
Check out this link:
http://www.easy-uphaul.com/index.html
It shows how you can add a short piece of bungee cord and make your
current uphaul into an "Easy Uphaul".
If your uphaul is not short enough, or if the lower loop is bungee cord already, simply tie a few figure 8 knots in the uphaul to shorten it and untie the bottom knot on the uphaul and remove the bungee cord, replacing it with a loop of line so you can hook it on your harness hook.
But really, on the GO 139, waiting around in the cold water, arranging things for a waterstart, is a bit of a waste of your sailing time.
Climb back on the board and uphaul (using your legs hips and the big muscles in your thighs to do the lifting) and you will be back to sailing in a few seconds vs a minute or two while you arrange everything for a waterstart.
If you fall in a good position to waterstart (i.e.the rig is upwind of your board and the clew is toward the back) then waterstarting makes more sense and doesn't take so much time from your sailing.
Otherwise, if you need to get the rig across the front of your board, and flip the sail to get the clew back, you are using about 10 times the energy it takes to simply climb on the board and uphaul.
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2007, 10:44 PM   #8
windsurferdagg

I was sailing the go when this happened. I find that when you go to uphaul, the board swings down wind, the sail is than backwinded when you pull it up and it sucks. I have no problem uphauling, I just don't like it too much . If I don't have to rip up my hands (after uphauling a lot, my hands get very sore).

I am using a 35 % carbon mast. Unfortunatly I couldn't afford a higher % but I got a great deal from someone who got it for christmas (brand new 2004 never been used for 60 bucks CND!!!!)

As for the sail, the whole cams thing make a difference trying to get the sail up right? My Naish redline is awsome to sail, its sweetspot is pretty overpowered. If you would hold the uphaul, than sail would go all over the place sometimes in the gusts. Other people were on 5.8's and about 30-50 pounds heavier. Its a great sail, just wished it wasn't so hard to get out of the water.

Soon, I will have the tabou rocket though. that is 115 litres which is plenty to float me (I can float on my friends 105 hypersonic and uphaul) so I should have no problem getting up with that either. I just like how waterstarting gets you in position to sail right out of the water. Uphauling involves more problems in choppy conditions and gusty conditions.

tks for the help,

Thomas
Old 21st June 2007, 11:30 PM   #9

The waterstarter works a treat & you could make your own. Would proabably look even worse than the genuine article, but for a lazy git like me in big sail conditions looking cool's less of a prioirty than taking it easy.
Old 21st June 2007, 11:43 PM   #10
JJay

You guy's make me feel like king kong. i'm not the biggest ,or strongest guy around, but uphauling a 9.5m race sail without easy uphaul, in 15 to 18 knts, is no problem.

I only started using an easy uphaul with my 11m warp race sail.

Now i'm confused?????

i'm either much stronger than i thought, or my technique is better than i dreamed????

(Try turning the board with your feet while uphauling, so that the tail of the board is sitting under the mast base, for added bouyancy, with easier positioning of the mast to face windward)

Truthfully though, i'm not extremely strong, and i'm not that much of an expert yet. Just the average "joe windsurfer".

Oh!?!?!?!?!?! Why don't you try this ?
Don't drop the sail at all. If you don't drop it, you won't need to lift it.

So, all the fuss about uphauling handkercheif size sails in medium winds seems like someone should say,,,, get tough!!!!!!!!

Windsurfing aint no video game!!!!!!!

I don't know a windsurfer worth his salt, without hard "ripped up" hands.

See them like stripes in the military.
JJay is offline   Reply With Quote