Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 24th June 2007, 07:08 AM   #1
windsurferdagg

Send a message via MSN to windsurferdagg
Default bubble on the bottom of the board

I went to see the Tabou Rocket 115 that I was interested in, but on the bottom, there is a bubble. Somebody said that could be dilamination or something.

Just wondering what it could be, and should it put me off buying it. Its closer to the nose, not the tail so it won't affect trim while planing at all I don't think

Thanks anyone,

Thomas
windsurferdagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2007, 09:15 AM   #2
Randy

Default RE: bubble on the bottom of the board

Visit Boardlady.com. She has a picture of a repaid job on a board with a bubble on bottom. Doesn't look like a minor issue to me.

http://www.boardlady.com/bottombubble.htm
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2007, 10:01 AM   #3
steveC

Hi Thomas,

Anything on its way out is foolish to invest in. Although you might be able to savage an illusion through a repair procedure, still you're in dangereous territory for the future. Don't focus on the cheap side of the game, it's a lame approach. Best to concentrate on quality. What's that? An interesting question, but the bottom line might be viewed as a viable warranty. I've gone outside the margin and found success, but I have also found abject failure too.

Hey, you're rolling the dice, what do you think?

steveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2007, 10:50 AM   #4
windsurferdagg

Its so hard to say... I am selling my Go 139 to buy this tabou rocket, I tried the board today and was amazed at the speed, manueverability and jumping power that it has. I want to get it, but if it breaks, I don't have another board to replace it... I am stuck with no windsurfin for a while...

So It is a small bubble, I might ask the guy who is sellin it for a picture. Its not eve the size of my palm. I would say 2 inchs diameter... it looks like the maker just got air trapped when curing it

Thomas
Old 24th June 2007, 06:37 PM   #5

Looking at your equipment (ie only a Go) .. any other board will feel fast!

Just relax and try some others. The fanatics are awesome and try a SB also.
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2007, 09:06 PM   #6
windsurferdagg

ya I am. i like the fanatic hawk. or the starboard s type... but unfortunatly, can't afford those. I can't get much more than 1000 for my Go 139 2006 (even though its barly used) so my choices are limited.

Thomas
Old 24th June 2007, 09:13 PM   #7
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Thomas,
Did you take a look at the link on "The Board Lady" website?
"Bubbles" in the bottom of a board indicate some form of delamination.
It could be a manufacturing defect, but most often they are caused by moisture getting inside the board and the board being "heated up" enough to cause an abnormal build up of pressure inside.
This is what causes the delamination.
If you intend to have the board repaired, by a professional (like Eva, the Board Lady) she/he can use a moisture meter to examine the entire board and determine if there's additional pockets of moisture inside the skin of the board. If there are additional pockets of moisture inside the skin, the board needs to be dryed out internally using a vacuum pump.
Then each delamination (moisture pocket) must be opened up and the wet decomposed foam removed, the pocekt filled with expaning foam (as it is in the photos of the bubble repair) and then the damaged areas faired in and a new skin applied to each damaged area.
Ask the guy who's selling the board if he ever left the vent plug loose, or out of the board, or if there was some unrepaired damage that he sailed the board with, allowing water inside the core of the board.
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2007, 12:19 AM   #8
Phill104

Thomas,

Sounds like you should let this one go. There will be loads more boards up for grabs.

In a couple of weeks *board will be launching their new range. Traditionally, lots of used boards come on the market as people decide to renew. I'm sure something like a Carge 111,122 or an Stype will be available at a price you can afford very soon. The carves are especially good.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
All the latest windsurfing news in one place.
Phill104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2007, 12:57 AM   #9
windsurferdagg

ahahaha alright... if anyone has any boards that will be in total for me under a 1000 CND, let me know
Old 25th June 2007, 08:09 AM   #10
steveC

Hi Thomas,

Really, you're still on the upside of the game with your GO139, and don't think for a second that that board won't work to your advantage for some time. The lost opportunity with the Rocket was probably a lesson in restraint, to ulimately hone your future. Now, you have more time to plan a more suitable outcome.
steveC is offline   Reply With Quote