Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 30th June 2007, 10:10 AM   #1
windsurferdagg

Send a message via MSN to windsurferdagg
Default all this buzz of s types

Are these S types really all they are cracked up to be?

The 2006 S type... The 115 L board, would it be reasonable for me to sail 7.6 down to 5.2 sails would you say? Conditions ranging from flat water to pretty choppy water?

Is it an relativly early planer compared to other superX boards out there? I know the Tabou Rocket and Fanatic Hawk both boast early planing skills.

I would typically use the S type 115 if I got it for 7.6 blasting fast on flatwater and high speed jibes, 6.6 blasting as well as the occational chop hop and maybe attempts of air jibes and vulcans etc, 5.8 where its goina be bigger chop hops and attempts at forward loops and 5.3 the same untill I get a smaller 95L ish kombat style board to replace the s type in the 5.8 down sail range.

Thanks for the help, I like the look of the s type 115, but have never really understood what their specialities were etc.

Thomas
windsurferdagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2007, 10:30 AM   #2
steveC

Default RE: all this buzz of s types

Hi Thomas,

I would say that you're on the right track with the S-Type 115, but from what I understand a 7.6 might be pushing it a bit. Not too far off though. May be someone that owns one can advise you better about whether the 7.6 is viable. I've got a friend that sails the S-Type 115, and he really likes it for blasting around, and it appears to handle mixed ocean chop very well. I think the board would be ideal with your 5.0, 5.8 and 6.6 sails, although it would probably be advisable to fin down some with a 5.0.

steveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2007, 01:36 AM   #3

I use my ST115 with a 7.5 quite often and it works but, its a 2007 model with a larger fin, so you might have to match the fin.
ST115 does rock and I think it could be the right addition to your Go
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2007, 01:40 AM   #4
windsurferdagg

Addition to the Go? I am talkin about replacing the go. I am tired of all the extra volume that is only used for not moving style sailing. If I am moving just a bit, I am fine on a 120ish litre board no problem. Maybe even 110 L... I want something that isn't a carve to replace my Go

any suggestions other than the s type though?
Old 1st July 2007, 02:20 AM   #5

listen dude:

- Go 4 u == light wind range (8-14kts)
- ST115 as well as any other board not ~80 cm wide != (not equal) light wind range!

I know what you want but it isn't realistic!

light wind == wide board because the tail of the board plus massive fin supports your weigth keeping most of the board out of the water == speed AND early planing!

if you think u can go 4 a smaller board think again!

you need different board 4 different conditions!

lets say 15-25 kts: a ST115 will put a big smile on your face! The Go won't but the ST115 won't put a smile on your face in 8-14 kts!

u need at least 2 different boards!
Old 1st July 2007, 06:38 AM   #6
windsurferdagg

I want to replace the go... with another board, around 120 litres that will be my lightwind board when I get a smaller board but for now, will be my only board... like what the Go is right now (my one board).. I can get planing faster with my friends hypersonic (105 L) and his kombat (95 L) before my Go gets up. I just want something more "performance" oriented for my light wind board. Not a carve either or an isonic. I need something that I will sail with a 7.6 and 6.6 mostly once I get a smaller board for 5.8 conditions down. I am a lightweight and don't need a big board. I weigh 140-150 pounds tops...
Old 1st July 2007, 09:32 AM   #7
steveC

Hi Thomas,

Although I don't want to get in a contest with others that have posted earlier, I know that at your weight (I weight 70kgs), the S-Type should be quite viable in the 5.8 and 7.0 ranges, especially considering the 13 to 20 knot averages. Hey, a few fin modifications can readily ensure more specific performance at the low end and high ends. Regardless, a focused fin quiver will ultimately benefit you no matter what you decide on. If you weighed 200lbs, I wouldn't be offering such an optimistic scenario. At your weight though, the S-Type 115 should offer great mid-range performance. In the very lightest and heaviest of winds, you'll need either a smaller or larger board to truly optimize, but from what I gather you're talking mid range. From the comments from the guest poster immediately after me earlier post, a sail a large as 7.5 was quite doable. Even if the that was debatable, you're going to be easily styling in the mid range.

Frankly, I would keep the GO139 to back up your light wind game with the 7.6. If anything, it would help teaching friends that might be interested in windsurfing. It might test them a bit, but at least you have something for your girlfriend to play with, unless she's bigger girl.

steveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2007, 01:37 PM   #8
Phill104

Quote:
windsurferdagg wrote:
I want something that isn't a carve to replace my Go
I'm interested to hear why you think a carve is not the board for you?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
All the latest windsurfing news in one place.
Phill104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2007, 04:06 PM   #9
crazychemical

why get rid of the go? If you want a lightwind board, it's one of the best options in the SB range. In addition to it you'd need a 110-115 L board for medial winds because after a while the go does slow down compared to others whereas eg the S-type only starts cracking. And idd, why not carve? it's got a bigger sailrange and is more movement oriented then the s-type. After that, it's just a question of getting a 80 L ish board for the good winds ... I don't see why ur so ancious to get rid of the Go, all the sailors who have one, or have had one, keep it for light wind because of it's width; it's much wider than any board in it's volume category and thus planes faster in it's windrange (see formula boards). ...
What board you choose after the Go is up to you and your right making an informed choice, but none of us see why you need to put the Go away ...
Old 2nd July 2007, 12:42 AM   #10

Cxxx nice boards well balanced good to learn things on but as soon as you got things dailed you'd want an SType.

I think you have a number of issues you haven't quite grasped yet:

- need for speed : as soon as you get hooked you want iS or ST and definitely not C or similar
- need for fun : C is okay (small letters), ST is much better and Kombat could be what you might be looking for.
- need for bump and jump : ST115, K79

The problem is:
getting on a plane is "nice" but flying is much nicer (you can get on a plane with smaller boards but they are just f!cking slow)!

- early planing fast etc. (e.g keep your Go or go for an iS (technora in your case so 145))
- second board would be an ST115 (Technora)
- third board would be ab K79 or even smaller (wood or Technora)

that way you have speed in light to medium winds and pure fun in higher winds

maybe you have a technique problem with your go. It should plane earlier than a Hyper/Carve etc.