Go Back   Starboard Forums > Windsurfing School

Old 4th July 2007, 04:00 AM   #1
windsurferdagg

Send a message via MSN to windsurferdagg
Default HYPERSONIC!!!!!

I was thinking how excellent the hypersonic 105 2003 was at being a lightwind board. I tried my friends with a 7.6 and could get planing very fast and easily. Once more wind comes and you get more powered :-O so much fun. So fast.

But roger, my question was, how does the 2004 hypersonic 111 compare to the 2003 hypersonic 105?

I took out my friends hypersonic in severly non planing conditions and could uphaul it, tack it, jibe it etc, but I don't really go out in conditions that you are barly moving... The volume of the 111 just gives me that added security I guess.

Tell me what you think of a hypersonic replacing my go. I do hear its a more technical board, but I tried it already and love it And I found one for a good price.

Should I maybe get a mast protector/nose protector for it? Since I will be sailing this in choppy conditions, would that make the board that little bit more durrable? I am getting it in DRAM if I get it. But any ideas to make it last that bit longer would be awsome

Thanks for the help

Thomas
windsurferdagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2007, 08:58 AM   #2
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Default RE: HYPERSONIC!!!!!

Hi Thomas,
OK, now you have me confused......?
It's probably your youthful exuberance and enthusiasm shining through, but you definitely said you weren't interested in an Isonic, but now you are very interested in a Hypersonic.
The Hypersonic 111 is very similar to the Hypersonic 105 from the year before. The nose is a bit rounder, and (like all Hypersonics besides the HS 96 (which I have and cherish)) the shape of the bottom is nearly identical between the '04 HS 133/111/96, and (except for the rounder nose and a little less "wing" near the back) the bottom contours are nearly identical to the '03 125 and 105.
But, my confusion comes when you said you wanted a board for bump and jump, not just going fast.
The Hypersonics are all quite fast. The Isonics are a little faster yet,
but neither of these "dedicated slalom machines" is going to jump or jibe or turn like a Carve or Kombat.
Yes, the HS 111 would be a good board for you, and you can put a nose protector (either purchased from Starboard or home made) on to protect the nose ( but I really doubt that you'll ever "stuff the nose"),
but the Hyper isn't a great jumper. Little chop hops, off waves and swell from the right direction, yes, but truly jimping, I don't think so.
So, you have to decide where your next goals lie, and look for boards that will do the things you want to do.
Wanna go fast...... get the Hypersonic 111 DRAM.
Wanna jump, do terrific looking carve jibes.... look for a Carve 99/101/111/121/122.
Carve 99/101 with a 32 cm fin should handle your 7.6 really easily.
I used to sail the Carve 99 with a 7.5 Retro and a 32 cm fin all the time.
But, you don't get much early planing with this combo. Early planing for a 100 liter rec/slalom board yes, but compared to your GO 139, or a Carve 122; Isonic 122; Hypersonic 111 DRAM... no way.
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2007, 09:26 AM   #3
windsurferdagg

I have heard that the isonics were really expensive and fragile. That is thte only reason I do not want one.

I have been spoken to about boards by a lot of the members of my local sailing crew. It seems I would be way better off getting a light wind board and than a dedicated high wind board compared to a one board does all thing.

AFter sailing my Go last sunday in really powered 7.6 conditions and learning how to ride the fin from a good friend of mine, I am now addicted to speed!!!!!!! I don't really care too much about nice carve jibes. As long as I make it around im good

as for chop hops, I have seen my friends 105 hyper doin some pretty decent airs, and thats all I am looking for right now. Like clearing the fin to head hight tops and even that is pushing it for a lightwind board. I will get better jumps and arials once I get enough money for a higher wind board.

I want the hyper to be a good board from 7.6 down to 5.8 conditions for speed sailing (since I am not addicted) but also be good for just blasting with friends (and overtaking them ) but once I get my higher wind board, it will be from 7.6 down to 6.6 probably

I am really considering the 111 hypersonic.

You say its a pretty early planer? My friends hypersonic with him on it (hes the same weight as me) is the fastest planer out on the water at my spot! I would love to see what the extra 6 litres would do!

Thomas
Old 4th July 2007, 09:31 PM   #4
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Thomas,
If you have a good price on the Hypersonic 111, then go for it.
The Hypers are not for everyone! Lot's of sailors didn't like them, but you've been on one so you have a bit of an idea what they are about.
At your weight, and with your enthusiasm, I'm sure you will be one of the earliest to plane and one of the fastest as well as long as the water stays fairly flat.
I hope it's the right move for you, and yes, there is no "one board" solution, but the Hypersonics probably come as close to this more than any other board I can think of.
They jibe OK, you just need to figure out how to jibe them, and they also chop hop, but if you land them flat, you are probably going thru the deck at some point.
Acids, Evos, and Kombats are reinforced for jumping. Hypersonics,
Isonics, Formula boards are not. Just keep this in mind and if you simply have to jump, learn very quickly how not to land "flat", or you will be facing some serious repair bills.
Hope this helps,
Old 4th July 2007, 10:00 PM   #5
windsurferdagg

I never land flat! ... tips on not landing flat? just sheet out and extend back foot a bit don't you? and yes... I can almost get 200 dollars back and literally trade the go for the 04 hyper

That 2 hundred can either go towards my I need a 90-100 lire board fund or thomas is in debt to his parents for sails fund but either one is a good cause I guess

Thanks for the help. Do you have any tips for the hypers? Tricks that help performance etc?

Tks a lot

Thomas
Old 10th July 2007, 09:18 AM   #6
MA_Pete

Thomas:

For info and tips on the Hypersonic, go back to the old forums. The forum here starts last fall, but go back to 2006.star-board.com, that forum goes all the way back to 2000. Do a search on Hypersonic and that should keep you busy for several windless days.

Good luck!

-Pete
MA_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2007, 02:01 AM   #7
windsurferdagg

ahah you are correct. there is TONS of stuff about the hyper! I printed off some great responses on early planing and tuning so I should be good when it arrives next week.

thanks

Thomas
Old 16th July 2007, 03:39 AM   #8
windsurferdagg

Roger...

I got out on my friends 2003 hyper 105. It was very different to my Go... I found getting it up onto the plane pretty difficult at first. The board turns into the wind SO FAST! Its so turny and pivoty almost. With my Go I could (if I knew there was enough wind in that gust) just put my feet in both straps and bare off and I was gone (After gaining speed for a while that is). With the hyper and its short length, it seems like it really requires some initial momentum before you pop up onto the plane. The trick I found was to bare away first... pump a bit to get going a bit faster, than hook in, front foot in the strap and very quickly after than back foot. The faster I did it the better, as the board didn't turn upwind.

Once on the plane, the board just didn't want to come off it! I was coming to the shore and I wanted to tack it (which was interesting but more on that later) and im not that good at planing jibes (especially with an unfamiliar board) so I tried to get off the plane and go upwind. it was pretty difficult to be honest. the board seems to like being on the plane a lot!

It was an awsome sesh, even though I was barly powered or not powered at all I had a blast on the hyper 105. I can't wait to get my hyper 111 from 04.

But onto my questions...

1. What exactly is the different technique to get it up onto the plane faster? I found a lot of different responses in the old forums, but found that they really lacked detail in explaining the steps. Pumping it also felt a bit different. Is this something that TOW will fix? Is it because of its incredibly short length?

2. Jibing: will it be a lot harder than the Go? Or do I just really get on the other rail and lean into it like every other carving jibe...

3. Upwind. If I put my feet in the straps too early and wasn't planing, it seemed like the board was spinning out. My guess is you have to be fully planing before you can attempt to push with the back foot etc to go upwind? With my Go I could have not enough wind to plane fully, but be almost planiing and going upwind in both straps.

4. Length: my 04 is 218 cm long (when it gets here) and my friends is 137 or something like that long. what does that mean in control, early planing, speed etc. or what does the shorter length give you?

Thanks a lot roger.

Thomas
Old 16th July 2007, 08:12 AM   #9
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Thomas,
Well, you seem to have "discovered" some of the "quirks" intrinsic to the Hypersonics.
If you have nicely powered up conditions all the time the Hypersonic is a pretty likable board, but if you have marginal conditions some of the time the Hypers can be very frustrating and wonderful, all at the same time.
I'll try to answer your questions a best I can, but with the Hypers, you need to develop your own tecniques and if your expereince is like mine, what works one day in a certain set of marginal conditions may not get you going real easily the next time you have similar conditions (this was the frustrating part for me) and then, after a few frustrating runs, you will figure it out and have a great time the rest of the day (this in the wonderful part).

1. What exactly is the different technique to get it up onto the plane faster? I found a lot of different responses in the old forums, but found that they really lacked detail in explaining the steps. Pumping it also felt a bit different. Is this something that TOW will fix? Is it because of its incredibly short length?
I tried every tiechnique I know, and finally decided you need to "ooch" the board (carefully managing the fore and aft and rail to rail trim of the board and it will slide onto a plane and once it there it seems to stay on plane forever.So, work of finding the sequence and trim angles that work for you.
As far as pumping, I never had much luck with that on the Hypers.
TOW and familiarity with the "quirks" will definitely fix most of your problems.
No, it not the length that's the problem, but more likely it's the tremendous amount of shape in the bottom that makes the Hypers so "sticky" nd difficult to get onto a plane. Once the nose come up, the board is flat (rail to rail) then it pops onto a plane and stays there.

2. Jibing: will it be a lot harder than the Go? Or do I just really get on the other rail and lean into it like every other carving jibe...
Start out with wide radius carve jibes and keep your weight in the same place as when you are planing. If you shift your weight forward and allow the nose to drop, the board just stops and your jibe is over.
So, set up your jibes carefully, paying attention to "rolling" the Hyper into the turn , without shifting your weight forward to upset the fore and aft trim and you will be carfing fully planing jibes in no time.
It's going to be a little different than your GO 139. but once you get it , the Hypers jibe very nicely. Also, speed is your best friend in Hypersonic jibes, so just pull your back foot out, get it across to the lee rail, roll the board a bit and it will carve a beautiful jibe.

3. Upwind. If I put my feet in the straps too early and wasn't planing, it seemed like the board was spinning out. My guess is you have to be fully planing before you can attempt to push with the back foot etc to go upwind? With my Go I could have not enough wind to plane fully, but be almost planiing and going upwind in both straps.
First, you have a much smaller fin on the Hypersonic (or you should have if you don't) so you have to develop some speed and get the water flowing on the fin surfaces before you load the fin.
Just getthe board going on a beam reach or a bit below, then worry about getting upwind when you have the speed to go upwind on the fin.
Once planing the Hpersonics all go upwind incredibly high and fast, so figure out how to get the fin to bite first, then worry about regaining you upwind position.
I'm surprised you were getting upwind before planing on your GO 139. That's a bit strange. Maybe you were using the bottom shape rather than the fin...?

4. Length: my 04 is 218 cm long (when it gets here) and my friends is 137 or something like that long. what does that mean in control, early planing, speed etc. or what does the shorter length give you?
The specifications for the '03 Hypersonic 105 are:
Length: 227
Volume: 105 liters
Width:76.7 cm
1 ft. off tail width: 53.7 cm
Supplied with: 34 and 44 cm std. Tuttle fins
Your '04 Hyper 111 specs. are:
Length: 218 cm
Volume: 111 cm
Width: 77 cm
1 foot off tail width:54 cm
Supplied with:34 cm and 42 cm SR6-b type std. Tuttle fins
The bottom shapes are identical and the width are identical on all 3 '04 Hypersonics (133/111/96). The only differences are a tiny bit narrower 1' off measurement on the Hyper 96 and the overall thickness of the boards (which accounts for the increase in volume as thicker= more float.
Hope this helps,
Old 16th July 2007, 09:34 AM   #10
windsurferdagg

SWEET! It seems like this will be a fun board to get to know. It seems so much fun. I was amazed. I can't wait... I can't wait to get mine. I onlny got a half hour on my friends (since I didn't want to take it away from him) and it took me a while to get used to it. First off... compared to the go, 105 litres sinks a bit. In the 2003 model, there is very little volume in the nose and little area as well. It was a blast to try and figure out how to get it onto the plane. It was very marginal wind (I could have had problems if I rigged my 7.6) and I was on a KA koncept sail (my freinds as well).

I only got fully planing once. There was a gust, and I pointed downwind a bit hung in the harness got some speed, in both straps as quickly as possible and I was off! and you are right! the wind just died down, and I kept going! it was amaszing. Also, with the go, it took a lot of constant power to get going, but with the hyper, it seemed like that little puff was enough to get me going. The stupid thing was that people were out on the 2006 f type 158 and a 10.0! and I got planing way faster and kept planing way before they even started going. I would be interested in trying that guys f type just to see what its like but thats another thread

For the jibing, do you mean unhook, hang a lot off the boom, back foot out, on leeward rail and than press while leaning sideways into the turn? So I shouldn't be leaning forwards a bit? I was a bit confused at your answer to the jibing question.

I guess the tecnique has to change a bit for getting planing. I am used to the massive 48 cm fin on my go... I was using the 34 cm with the 6.6 and once I was up on the plane, I tested the hard to spin out idea. and wow... its true! I went over chop different ways, sheeted out while really pushing hard with my back foot and it was really hard! I like that, some added confedence.

I guess the hyper is truly a light wind weapon if I can get it planing early. What strap settings would you recommend? back foot all the way back and front foot in the middle holes? I am 6 feet or 183 cm and 65 kg or 145 pounds

Thanks so much for all your help! Hopefully next march I can make it down to hatteras and come sail with you. That would be sick

Thanks a lot,

Thomas