Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 15th July 2007, 03:15 PM   #1
Doc Dino

Default Flare 99 or 111

Yiassas

Some help from the freestylers please!

I'm seriously obsessed with vulcanolgy & trying spocks but v badly! Going for a flare but not sure which size. I'm 78kg & want a dedicated freestyle board for F4-5. (I've got RRD 95/78 FSW's for stronger winds)

99 would seem ideal but wondered if 111 would give more planing time in marginal conditions (often found in my home waters!!!)?

Am I right that the dimensions for 111 are same as 99 (seems like a very good idea)?

26cm fin on 111 does sound big for a freestyle board but I'm no expert! Does it cope well with smalller freestyle fins?

(thought about rrd twintip but like idea of 'gutters' on Flare to save ankles - also nearly 200 quid cheaper than rrd!)

Thanks v much for your help

Dino
Doc Dino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2007, 11:40 PM   #2
Taty Frans
Dream Team NB-9

Default RE: Flare 99 or 111

Hi Dino,

The Flare 99 is the same dimension as the 111 but the 111 is much thicker..

The 99 would be a good size..

I weight 73kg and use the 99 flare with sail sizes 5.2 - 6.0 I mean that´s the biggest freestyle I use.. I never tried bigger sail on it but I know for sure that It can handle a 6.4 sail..

Both board are great that´s for sure,

Yes, the 111 you can use also with a 21 or 22 cm fin,

On the 99 you can use fin sizes 18-21 cm..

Taty Frans NB-9

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Taty Frans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2007, 11:40 PM   #3
Taty Frans
Dream Team NB-9

Hi Dino,

I weight 73kg and use the 99 flare with sail sizes 5.2 - 6.0 I mean that´s the biggest freestyle I use.. I never tried bigger sail on it but I know for sure that It can handle a 6.4 sail..

Taty Frans NB-9

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 15th July 2007, 11:41 PM   #4
Taty Frans
Dream Team NB-9

Hi Dino,

Taty Frans NB-9

Old 16th July 2007, 02:37 AM   #5
Doc Dino

Thanks Taty for getting back so quick..working on Sundays, now that's dedication!!

Yup, the 99 does sound great & the one for me. Is there likely to be much difference with the 2008 version? They must be due out soon and tested to the full by your good self!

I'm not sure how you can twist & contort your body to bust some of those moves but keep up the good work - it inspires us all to push that bit further

Yiassas

Dino
Doc Dino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2007, 04:04 AM   #6
Taty Frans
Dream Team NB-9

Dino,

Hahaha, yes i like to give answer back when people ask for help on freestyle boards..

Uhmm, Yes there's difference for the 2008 Flare 99 and 111 the colors/graphics will also be diffrent..

All the people who will buy the 2008 Flare will for sure like everything about this board, the Color is so nice and make you want to just save it in your room... I like teh 2008 color.

I tested the 2008 Flare 99 together with Frank Diaz and it was extremely good.. so it will for sure be a board to get your foot on. very much balance give you enough time to do combination moves without have to worry about falling in the water. easy to jump with very light and comfortable while cruising.

Flare 88 have been tested together with kiri and it's a perfect Hi wind freestyle board, good for the kid/junior who like a board for all wind conditions.. extremely fast with this board you can easily make double/triple move without having to struggle. (My favorite board)

Flare 111 is the big brother of the 99 so if you feel like the 99 is to small for your size then the 111 will be your next choice.. B)

Thank you Dino, Thank you for the nice words.. Well hope you get that flare..

Have fun and keep it up..

Tat Frans NB-9