Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 16th July 2007, 03:03 AM   #1

Default F161 Finbox problem

I just bought a near new (used once) F161, and the fin screws are both on an angle when screwed through the board into the fin. It's almost like both holes in the fin are slightly forward of where they should be.. or the holes in the board are slightly back from where they should be.. anyone else have this problem? Is my board/fin defective?
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2007, 05:12 AM   #2
Taty Frans
Dream Team NB-9

Default RE: F161 Finbox problem

Hi,

Have you tried another fin and see if it is the same thing happening..??

I have the same board but don't remember if I have this problem, I can't neither check for you because I am not in Bonaire for me to take a look at it.

maybe someone else can answer on this one..??

Taty Frans NB-9

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Taty Frans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2007, 08:42 AM   #3
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Guest,
This is a common problem with 2 solutions.
First, as Taty suggests, try another fin to see if the brass barrel nuts in your particular fin have been drilled too far forward.
If not then you have the common "fin screw holes in the board drilled
too bar back in the deck".
Easiest solution here is to take a "rat tail" (round) file and simply elongate the holes forward until you can get the screws in more easily.
Not sure what jig or fixture Cobra uses for drilling these holes, but on thick tailed boards with deep Tuttle fin boxes they frequenstly drill the holes too far back to line up with the barrel nuts in the fin and the drillings for acess to the barrel nuts.
You may have to open up the 2 holes that the fin bolts go through to engage the barrel nuts.
Elongating the holes in the deck is the easiest and best way.
The deck is bonded to the top of the fin box so this is all solid material with no possibility of leakage into the core of the board.
After you elongate the holes, get a couple of SS fender washers and some 1" OD (or same OD as the fender washers) rubber washers to seal the elongated holes and you will be good to go.
Hope this helps,
Roger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2007, 12:15 PM   #4

Wow .. what a debacle. Suggest you return the board if possible.

Not having good fitting fins is one of the most frustrating experiences!
Old 16th July 2007, 12:28 PM   #5

Yes I agree.
Starboard cannot just offload the problem and say it is Cobra. What are Starboard doing to rectify the situation for customers?
Old 16th July 2007, 01:45 PM   #6

Thanks for your replies. This is actually my first experience with a deep tuttle box, so I'm not sure how a good fitting fin should work... and after studying it some more, I don't think elongating the holes would fix the problem. The vertical holes in the fin that the bolts go through seem to be intentionally drilled perpendicular to the top part of the fin, which isn't parallel with the top of the board, or the bottom of the fin... is this normal? I would think that the holes drilled in the fin should be perpendicular to the bottom of the board, or bottom of the finbox fitting.. not the top of the fitting, since it is slanted.
Old 16th July 2007, 06:38 PM   #7
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Guys,
It's not a probloem with the way the fin fits!!!
It's a simple alignment problem with the fin bolts.
The sides and tapers (front and rear) of the Deep Tuttle fin box, and
the Deep Tuttle fin root all engage pretty nicely and the fin fits nice and tight I'll bet.
There is a simple misalignment between the holes in the deck and the barrel nut access holes in the top of the fin root.
How did the previous owner put fins in this board? Did he use custom race fins from Deboichet/Kashy/Tectonics or something?
If so, then the problem here may be with this particular fin, but I've owned somewhere around 25 Starboards with thick tails and Deep Tuttles and this has been a pretty common first day problem, especially with older boards.
Old 16th July 2007, 10:12 PM   #8
Krister

This problem often occours, for instance when altering the fin rake. On Starbords this is actually quite easy to fix since the top of the fin doesn't reach the top of the box, and one can play with the angle of the screws. Depending on how much missalignment there is, I prefer to simply alter the the holes through the fin head, either slanted/angled, or to simply drill a new hole for the screw and barrel nut, rather than altering the holes of the board which would reduce second hand value and can risk cavitation of the fin.
Krister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2007, 01:41 AM   #9

What really gets me is why the fin looks like it was intentionally drilled to have the screws slanted... I'll clear one thing up.. the fin fits, the screws line up with the holes fine, but they go through the holes in the board at an angle, so the screw heads don't lie flat on the board.. so are all deep tuttle fins drilled so the screws come out perpendicular to the top of the fin (slanted?).. because that just doesn't make sense to me... If it was a mistake, that'd be a pretty obvious one.
Old 17th July 2007, 05:54 AM   #10
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Krister,
If you elongate the holes, and then use an appropriate size SS fender washer and rubber sealing washer (like the big white ones that came on many '07 Starboards) there is no way the fin can cavitate as the fin box cavity is completely sealed.
It's not like you need to drill an extra hole, just elongate the existing hole by about half the diameter of the screw. You can glue the sealing washer to the deck of the board and the 2nd hand value won't be impacted at all as no one can see that the hole has been elongated.
Hope this helps,