Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 27th July 2007, 04:39 AM   #1
flyingvet

Default New board

Hello,

My weight is 75 kg. I have a mistral syncro 90L 2004 i use with 4.0 naish , 4.5, 5.0 and 5.7 Dr X. Above i have a mistral radar 125L (267x67 cm) 2003. This board i want to replace. I use this board with 5.7 DR X and 7.0 gaastra matrix.

I like speed, but i also like to turn and jump a lot. Should i look at the stype, the carve or the kombat aero?
It will be my light wind board, so it has to plane pretty early, but still it has to be able to handle medium wind too.

1/Is there going to be an advantage between, for example, a carve off 131L (72 cm width), 145L (78 cm width) and 161L (82 cm width)? Is the 161L still fun sailing in 20 knots? Wich board is good for 75kg sailor? I was told to look at the width instead of the volume.

2/ I want to replace my 7.0, would a 6.5 and a 7.7 or 8.1 be good? Will a bigger sail give me more advantage (for example 8.7)?

Thanks very much , regards, Koen
flyingvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2007, 05:23 PM   #2

Default RE: New board

the ST126 would size wise replace your mistral best. ST is definately more fun than the carve (turnier, jumpier and faster but slightly more "techical" to ride).

Some complain that it doesn't plane early but that (IMHO) is a myth (remember "technical" ride). I've had 3 STs and 3 Carves and am going to replace my latest Carve with an ST.

If you want to use bigger sails for lighter winds you can easily put an 9 on the ST137, might need a slightly larger fin (like the 2006 model had) but that will get you going in ~9kts (again, reminder, "technical" ride).
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote