Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 2nd August 2007, 10:01 PM   #1

Default isonic 122

how to prevent spin out on flat water 20-25kts wind 7.6 sail with 44 cm drake slalom fin and i weigh 105 kg its all good but when i try to go upwind it spins out every time
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2007, 03:55 AM   #2
Ken

Default RE: isonic 122

I haven't sailed an isonic, but spin out while heading upwind comes from two factors.

1. Too much pressure on the back foot trying to point higher. Any fin can be made to spin out if you push hard enough. As you increase speed, you can put additional pressure on the back foot. You just have to learn - how much is too much.

2. If the water is choppy, this adds to the problem. Bouncing over chop allows air to get under the board, which makes it easier for the fin to be pushed sideways (spin out). You have to let your legs / knees work the bumps, trying to keep the board down on the water's surface. If you do get air over chop, you have to let off the pressure on the back foot, and or turn the nose of the board a little more off the wind.

Bigger fins also help reduce spin out because the greater surface area allows more pressure with the back foot.

Practice makes perfect.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2007, 05:22 AM   #3
steveC

Default RE: isonic 122

Hi Ken,

You answered the question very well. The only few things I could possibly add is that spinout can happen at all windspeeds, although I think most experience it more readily at the low end before the fin is properly loaded, and that harness line position can also readily influence the occurence of the problem.

steveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2007, 08:53 AM   #4
Colin Pitts

Default Spinout

Hi Ken,

I sail an isonic 122 and initially experienced the spinout you are talking about.
Three things fixed it completely and make it just fly upwind on the 44cm fin:

1) Raise your boom to chin height
2) Lean forward
3) Heel the board to leeward (just at the point where there is no spray to leeward)

If all these things don't work shorten your harness lines a bit at a time.

The 122 works well with a 9.8, 8.2 and 7.5 tuned this way. I am 6'0" and 150 lbs.
Foot straps are all the way back.

Enjoy! the board is amazing.
-colin
Colin Pitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2007, 07:27 PM   #5
mark h

If your using an adjustable outhaul, flatten out the sail for the upwind run. The sail will have less power on the back hand, so less power going through the rear foot. Point higher/less spin out/

Cheers
mark h is offline   Reply With Quote