Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 10th August 2007, 10:09 AM   #1
willy

Default two slalom race legs

hello, i'm pretty new to the forum but pretty old watching at it, as am switching to an isonic 2008 from a carve 111 i need some help in choosing which one.
I weight 70 kilos and we are in a club and only race between 3 sailors each time eliminating 2nd and 3rd and so on, doing beach start until a buoy and back to the beach, total one mile going and one mile returning and sailing 90/100 degress to the wind. The wind allways between cambered 6.2 and 7.2 but sometimes with some holes as a lake, the thing is I need a board that start planing asap and reaches full speed asap too. The water is mirror flat like and i don't have technical issues so any volume will fit the need.
I think the 111 could do the work because of the beach starting, wind holes and jibing slows but the 101 makes me think on top end speed in that long run. Is the 2008 isonic 101 wider at the tail?
Could somebody help in what to choose?
Thanks a lot.
willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2007, 08:24 AM   #2
Ian Fox
STARBOARD

Default RE: two slalom race legs

Hi Willy,

For 70kg the 101 could be a good choice as over 2 miles, the top speed can often count for more gain than you will lose from the marginally slower accel of the smaller board. Once up to speed, the lulls will effect the 101 only slightly more than 111, especially on very flat (mirror) water where the actual boards speeds will be relatively high/er, so the % of contribution to planing from apparent wind [vs actual] is higher than with slower board speeds in rougher water /same wind speed. So no real big negative to 101 there.

As long as you are OK starting from the beach (good skill and some pumping determination) you can almost cancel down the early planing advantage of 111 EXCEPT in the very most marginal conditions (and by quoting 7.2m/6.2m, this implies conditions above marginal).

Of course, if the wind holes are really bad (to the point of stalling all riders off the plane), then in that case the race will likely be won by the one who can plane (or resume planing) earliest, in which case the 111 would be a safer choice.

I have no idea about any iSonic101 for 2008 until AUG 15 but I'm sure it would be a little wider at the tail And offer a little more light wind range/accel. But, of course, I'd only be speculating on that

Cheers ~ Ian
Ian Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2007, 11:08 AM   #3
willy

Default RE: two slalom race legs

Hi Ian,

Many thanks for your fast answer, it is very helpfull to me since I had a great doubt about both volumes, now I have everything clear, I allways prefer speed but since we have starting and jibing slows and wind holes (not allways) I did not know what to choose and now I think I'll go for the 101.
One more if you can, regarding 90/100 degrees sailing, which after market fin size for IS 101 with 6.2 and 7.2 sails for flat out speed? Because I think both that comes with 101 are a little big for that thing.
Regards,
Willy
willy is offline   Reply With Quote