Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 12th August 2007, 08:26 PM   #1

Default Board for my wife and me

Hi,

Is there a board that would serve as a stable, learning board for my wife (125 lbs/57 kg, beginner, first time planing, learning harness) and me for stronger winds and serious chop, with 5.5 sail? (200 lbs, owning F-type 148 and an old longboard)
Possibly an older board I could get used.

Thanks,

-marek
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2007, 02:28 AM   #2
Ola_H
TEAM

Default RE: Board for my wife and me

A carve around 100 liters? My wife is at a similar level as your and enjoys that sort of board. At your weight and coming from a bigger board like the f-type, I think you could find such a board interesting as well.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2007, 08:37 AM   #3
James

Hi Marek,

I think it's great that you're trying to get your wife interested in windsurfing. Unfortunately, it may be difficult to find a stable learning board for her that is also a good high wind board for yourself. My advice is to be a gentleman and buy a board with only your wife in mind. If it turns out to be a fun board for you, too, that's great. If not, at least you will have a wife who enjoys windsurfing.

In starboard's line, the Start and Rio in the 150-200 liter sizes would probably be good for a lightweight beginner. Some of the longer new boards are nice, as well, like the Starboard Phantom and the Exocet Kona Style and Kona Surf. Actually, the Konas are probably the closest you could get to a board that would be good for your wife to learn on and also good for you in high winds.

By the way, what kind of old longboard do you have? Some old longboards actually do ok with small sails in strong wind.

Good luck.
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2007, 04:04 PM   #4

James - I have an old Fanatic Race Cat. I sail it with my 7.5 and 10 (10 feels quite weird, but maybe the wind was just too low). 7.5 feels very good with this board.
I guess I could try a smaller one on it, I'm just wondering if it would have enough leverage to make it turn ;-).

-marek

P.S. For her weight - which Go?
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2007, 10:02 PM   #5
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Marek,
Turning sailboards is more about technique than leverage.
Even tiny 2.5 m2 rigs will turn your Fanantic Cat if you put the mast foot in the right place (all the way back) and teach your wife good technique that incudes getting the foot of the sail all the way down onto the deck of the board and upwind of the centerline in tacks, and
well out to the side (mast upwind here) for her jibes.
Even very small sails will produce enough force to turn the board if you place the force where it gives the most leverage.
Another board you might want to look at is the Starsurfer M.
Women normally have very good balance and if your wife can get going on the Starsurfer M. it could prove to be the "dual purpose board" you are looing for.
But I also agree with Jim here. Get your wife her own board!
And some lightweight powerful rigs.
Then the 2 of you can sail together muxh more of the time.
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2007, 11:05 PM   #6
Ellen Faller
Dream Team - School

Hi Marek,
The ideal solution would be to buy your wife her own board, as mentioned by others. If that is not possible, then I'll put in my vote for a GO 133 or 144. Speaking as a female, and also as an instructor who has worked with a lot of women, women tend to prefer something more comfortable and less challenging than men. (I don't know your wife so I may easily be making an assumption that is not the real case.) For those reasons, I suggest a GO because of the EVA deck (rather than the non-skid of the Futura), and because of the stability. If she can get on and off with comfort, and ride with confidence while on the board, she will enjoy the sport so much more. If she enjoys the sport, she will stay with it, and will be more interested in the challenge later on.
good sailing
Ellen
Ellen Faller is offline   Reply With Quote