Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 20th August 2007, 05:08 AM   #1
ir194

Exclamation Footstrap screw problem

Hey guys,
I was out sailing on my 2006 flare 104 when I noticed after doing a body drag that my back strap was broken. I thought that I might have tore the plug out but it turns out that the screw snaped inside the board.

Unfortunatly the warranty is just up, so any suggestions on how to get it out (and its not sticking out of the board so i dont think a pliers will get it).

James Mulligan
IR194
ir194 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2007, 09:19 AM   #2
steveC

Hi James,

While I have yet to experience your problem, I have read in the past under earlier threads, that Roger has offered a tenable solution within reason. I have a feeling that he will soon come to your rescue on this and give you the needed details.
steveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2007, 11:13 PM   #3
martwald

Default Counter threaded screw bit

Go into any decent hardware store and ask for a drill bit with the thread running opposite to normal (not sure of the correct term), get it in a small diameter bit so you can drill down the centre of the broken screw, this is a standard way to get broken screws out of materials.

Very often it helps to place a timber guide above the screw, if you can secure it that is.

Not the most detailed response but it should work.

Martin
IRL190
martwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2007, 08:02 PM   #4
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Martin's suggestion to use a "left handed" drill might work, but on the type of threads used on SS footstrap screws (special Plastics Technology or "PT" threads with a much reduced minor diameter) it would be pretty difficult as you would have to go with such a small drill that it would wander out of the stainless steel and into the surrounding plastic.
The recommended repair in the Starfboard/Products/Repair Guides of this website offers a way to fix this problem if you can figure out how to dig the old broken screw out.
http://www.star-board.com/2008/pages...sst_repair.php
Best way is perhaps to "open up" a little space around the top of the broken off screw and then grab the broken screw with small "vice grip" type pliers.
When you get the broken screw out, you can use the recommended Permatex or Loc-Tite Thread Restoration to fill in the area where you had to open up around the broken screw to get the vice grips on the broken stub.
If you use either of these products on your footstrap screws it going to be a permanent fix with much higher overall "pull ou" strength.
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2007, 08:25 PM   #5
Floyd

Use another hole ??There`s loads to chose from.
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2007, 05:46 AM   #6
Mike T

Hi James
Here is a web site of the screw extractor I wrote about in the free forum. They come in three different sizes. They might cut a nice grove so you can grab the screw and then do the tread fix as per the Rodger said in his reply. Hope this helps Mike T www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=2354
Mike T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2007, 09:26 AM   #7
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Mike T.
Thanks for the link! That is a really handy tool.
I wonder about the I.D. of the tool over a 6mm PT thread, 1/4" = 6.35 mm (6.0 mm =0.2362") but it should do a very nice job of opening up the top of the broken screw so it can be "extracted" as recommended previously.
Then fill in the entire hole with some of the "Thread Restorer Compound", coat a screw with the mold release agent (the blue stuff) and screw the screw into the remaining threads lower in the hole for a permanent "fix"! Nice!
I think I'll have your link to the tool added to the repair website.
Do you know if these tools are also made in metric sizing?
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2007, 10:06 PM   #8
Mike T

Roger
Hi! I'm not sure if the Screw Extractors are made in metric sizes. I've only seen the one at Rockler (US Size). I'll do some checking around and post it if I find something.
Have a great day! Mike T
Mike T is offline   Reply With Quote