Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 23rd August 2007, 01:59 AM   #1
kvda

Default 104 wood for futura 101?

Half a year ago I bought the 2007 s-type 104 wood. Great board! like the comfort, like the speed. I'm 1.89 m, 85-90 kg.
I use the 104 with sails from 5.4 - 6.5 - 7.2. Sometimes, in heavy conditions, the 7.2 V8 (combined with 36 cm Drake slalom pro) seems a bit too much for the 104.
The 104 with 6.5 GTX is perfect, combined with Drake slalom pro 32 cm.

Now i've noticed the 101 futura, and SB says it can handle a 7.5. Sounds ok, the 7.2 would fit beter on the futura 101 than on the s-type 104. But it's a pity to invest again a lot of money to change still quite new s-type for a futura, besides I love the s-types character.

What to do? Is it worth changing the s-type for a futura 101?

Other suggestions? Maybe combine the 7.2 V8 with another fin?

tnx you guys, great forum.
(The 7.2 V8 will be replaced later this year by an RS Slalom 7.2, of RS Racing 7.2 By the way...; my other boards are the isonic 125 and SB Formula)
kvda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2007, 06:04 AM   #2
Ian Fox
STARBOARD

Hi kvda,

The new Futura101 will carry a bigger sail loading (slightly) better than the ST104, thanks mainly to the extra overall (about +5cm) and tail (+4cm) widths of Futura.
And if you love the character of the ST104 you will be rather happy with the FU101.

But realistically, in both cases you are very much at the top end (sail size) of the sweetspot range for both boards, and making a change to the FU101 will not provide a quantum improvement in 7.5m handling (especially for heavier riders at ~90kg).
So recommending a board change simply for that improvement on it's own (in these specific and marginal conditions) would be a pretty debateable suggestion.

Making an upgrade to the new FU101 to take advantage of the overall performance mix, while still having a good resale opportunity on ST104 could also be more worthwhile idea.

Also worth noting that both the V8 and RS sails can deliver fairly hi dynamic loadings onto the board/s for a given sail size/area (say in comparison to a 7.2m no cam freeride).

Adding a small amount of extra fin on the existing ST will possibly help a little, more so in marginal ST104+7.2m conditions, but again will not be a significant improvement over your current setup.

Cheers ~ Ian
Ian Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2007, 12:00 AM   #3
kvda

Tnx Ian, great response.

I think I'll keep the 104 (so far..., the advantage sounds not worth the investment for me, love the 104 too much. I will experiment with several fins next weeks. A no-cam is not an option for me, don't like them for racing.

cheers
kvda is offline   Reply With Quote