Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 27th August 2007, 06:08 AM   #1
Mar

Question (Urgent) Info needed about Arrows mast

Hello everybody.
I'm sorry for this OT, but I (urgently) need info about Arrows Lance 100 mast.
I've tried to google it, but I couldn't find in which year it was produced in.

It's 490cm model with gray bag and yellow arrows logo.
Mast itself has kevlar einforcement and varying type of carbon layout throughout it's lenght.
It's however amazingly light - only 1.47kg (for 490cm)!

Mast was made in Germany.

I've searched mytrimms and people say that masts from 2004-2002 had 1.7 - 1.9kg for the same lenght, so this model should be older one? Perhaps 2001-2000?

Help greatly appreciated.
Mar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2007, 02:21 AM   #2
Unregistered

thought i'd reply to keep this on the front page so some who knows may look at it, i've had loads of problems trying to look for info about 2 arrows sails i've got, why did they go bust?
Old 30th August 2007, 02:46 AM   #3
Unregistered

It's probably from somewhere in '98-'00. They had the first seriously light production masts, made in Germany. It's a very nice mast in a lot of different sails (the smaller ones were great in a wave sail, as long as you didn't fall off...), at least back then. Not sure if the newer racing sails will like the mast, but freeride should like it.

Arrows Brand was killed by Boards and More, I believe, to reduce excess in their company, then they sold off F2 (only Fanatic, Mistral, North now).

Feel free to correct me if I've got the wrong info.
Old 30th August 2007, 04:09 AM   #4
Jean-Marc
TEAM

Mar,

I don't think the weight of 1.47 kg for a 100% carbon 490 cm mast is accurate. Arrows Ultimate Race 490 cm from 2004-5 weights 1.9 kg while the lightest Ultimate Race 400 cm weights 1.6 kg.
One of the lightest mast you can find on the market between the 1998-2005 period was North Viper Race 100% carbon : 1.5 kg @ 460 cm or 1.75 kg @ 490 cm (notable exception was the North ViperAero 100% carbon mast in 2002 : 0.95 kg @ 430 cm or 1.15 kg @ 460 cm).

Unfortunately, equipment/gear data gathered from mytrims.com can sometimes be misleading or wrong as they are not cross-checked for their accuracy by a curator, so better take it with a grain of salt...

Cheers !

JM

Last edited by Jean-Marc; 30th August 2007 at 04:45 AM.
Jean-Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2007, 12:06 AM   #5
Unregistered

Actually, the Lance 100 isn't listed on mytrims. The weight of the '99 Lance 100 was ridiculously low, much lower than the Ultimate Race that replaced it, which was beefed up and made in a completely different factory (probably Italy; don't remember). I don't know if 1.47kg is accurate, but it wasn't much over that. I think the Vipers weren't quite as light, but were generally a little more reliable.

However, as long as they didn't break the first time you rigged them, they were pretty reliable, as long as you didn't crash or god forbid take them in the waves.

The Lance 100 was made by a German aerospace company, and was one of the first, if not the first, masts to be finished with peel-ply rather than sanding or tape-finished, which helped the weight as well.