Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 29th August 2007, 08:47 AM   #1
Unregistered

Default Which Evo?

Hi
I wavesail in wide range of conditions. Mostly 4.7-5.7 in side on conditions. I weigh 75k and am looking at the E80. I don't sail as much as I would like and want to maximize the fun factor (and improve). I know the E75 would also work but the extra board size tells me I may just have a few more days of getting through the surf and wave riding. What difference would I expect between these boards at these sail ranges?
Thanks
Old 29th August 2007, 01:41 PM   #2
Ola_H
TEAM

I'm 70 kg and sail both boards in the sail ranges you are interested in. Possibly with a bigger fin, even the EVO 75 will handle 5.7 OK and conversely, the EVO 80 is not bad with 4.7. I think its mostly a tradeoff between the extra float on the 80 which makes underpowered sailing more comfortable and the smaller size of the 75 which will make powered up sailing more natural and comfortable.

I think the easiest recommendation is this: If you like to sail fast and well powered up, pick the 75, if you often sail a bit underpowered, take the 80. Both will handle side-on wave riding very well and both are very easy when it comes to getting out through white water. I end to use the 80 the most, but thats because I also have the 70 (my most used board) which makes the 75 kind of redundant.

The E80 is the same for 07 and 08. The E75 is a new shape for 08 and the 07 E75 is practice sails like a smaller board and might be too "small" for your needs.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2007, 03:16 AM   #3
gorazd

hello,

what kind of rocker line is on new EVO 75 ?
And how much V is in the tail ?

Gorazd from Slovenia
Old 30th August 2007, 04:52 AM   #4
Ola_H
TEAM

It is very, very difficult to quantify rocker line in any meaningful terms. There are something like 2cm of rocker measured over the last meter on the 08 E75, but that does not say much, really. The only thing I can say about v, is that it is a tad more than last year.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2007, 06:21 PM   #5
Unregistered

Thumbs up Evo

Currently owning a evo 83 ,74, 70. My weight 83kg . I really like the performance of the evo 83.
Huge sailing range , especially with an extra 25cm onshore wave fin. My spot on the ocean is always gusty , onshore wind and with a current . Load the 83 with a big fin and a 5.7 and you almost have a freeride-board . When the wind increases take the stock fin and you have the perfect wave board. Also overpowered you can hold on to the 83 really long so for me I sail a lot less on the 74 for this reason alone. Hate to be not planing so I always take the biggest sail I can hold , the same for my board. Also start working out, due to all the waves you will NOT miss when riding in ,you get exhausted fairly quickly.
The evo 74 is also an excellent board, but relative to the 83 looks more like a side shore board.
This of course related to my sailing style ,sailing spot and prefference.But since you are deciding between the two I just give you my opinion about their difference.
You can t go wrong with the evo. I missed a live time of sailing and wave riding by not owning a evo !