Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 3rd September 2007, 06:30 PM   #1
RichH

Default Fin selection Carve 144

As a quick introduction I've been sailing for two season, this year having stepped up to Carve 144 2006 model predominantly using 6 - 7.5m sails. The board was supplied with a drake freeride 480 which due to the lack of any other option is used on every outing. I would consider myself to be an early intermediate level, planing, comfortable in harness and working on the footstraps. Mostly sailing in flattish water sea locations and weigh 80-90kg

The reason for the post as is no doubt obvious from the title is fin selection. Whilst at the usual spot over the weekend it was mentioned that the 480 fin currently used is on the large size and I should be looking to maybe get a couple of alternatives for different tuning. Would be grateful for any comments regarding fin size and whether or not I should be looking to acquire something smaller. I'm a bit lost at this stage as there appears to so many different opinions on the matter of fin size.
RichH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2007, 08:57 PM   #2
ferris

Send a message via MSN to ferris Send a message via Yahoo to ferris

I ride a Carve 145l with 52cm stock fin, 8.0m sail, 74kg. So far in 12 to 16 knots, no problem. I wish I could have a smaller sail and fin, and of course, more wind!!

Cheers,

Ferris
ferris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2007, 03:25 PM   #3
Phill104

RichH,

I used to have a 144 and loved it. Fin choice can be a very personal thing. One sailor may find a fin too large while another may find the same fin too small. Different fin designs of the same size will also feel different.

If possible try out some friends fins. When I was using the 7.5 (which wasn't that often to be honest, I mainly used it with 8.5 and 9.4) with the 144 I was using a 43cm fin. I rarely used it with a 6 as I switched to a smaller board. On those rare occasions I used a 39 freeride fin.

For any board you can really extend it's range with a couple of extra fins but do try them out first.

I may be worth you trying some smaller boards for those 6m days. There is only so much difference a small fin can make. When the wind is up the smaller board will make things so much easier once you get used to it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
All the latest windsurfing news in one place.
Phill104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2007, 08:32 PM   #4
RichH

Thanks for comments. To be honest not really experienced any problems with Drake 480 at the minute. I agree it maybe worth while trying out others to see if it makes much of a difference. On the other hand the suggestion of a smaller board holds more interest....now I've just got to come up with a convincing argument for the missus.
RichH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2007, 10:25 PM   #5
Tom Aylott

Sorry to piggy back onto this thread but I was about to ask a similar question!! I use a Carve 145 with the supplied fin, a Drake 52. Sail sizes are between 5.5 and 7.5 and I weigh about 95kg. By the sounds of it I'm a similar standard to RichH, i.e. planing, reasonably comfortable in the harness and getting there with footstraps. Biggest issue I have is keeping up wind, particularly in non planing conditions, resulting in some very long walks up wind!! I've found recently that this problem is less exagerated when I'm using my 7.5m sail and worst when on my 5.5

Before I go ahead and move to a smaller board I really want to crack this going upwind problem and wonder whether it can be helped by changing fin size or style.

Anyone got any ideas??
Tom Aylott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2007, 02:40 AM   #6
Phill104

Upwind skills come with practise and you shouldn't rely on a big fin to get you upwind.

Take a look at this article.

http://www.guycribb.com/userfiles/do...g%20upwind.pdf

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
All the latest windsurfing news in one place.
Phill104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2007, 09:38 PM   #7
Tom Aylott

Phill

I was actually suggesting the opposite, that because my up wind performance improved with my sail size that maybe when using my 5.5 I'd be better with a smaller fin? I don't entirely understand the whole sail to fin to board ratio so this may be a completely illogical thing to say!!!

Tom
Tom Aylott is offline   Reply With Quote