Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 23rd September 2007, 05:14 PM   #1
emil

Default Darke Fin: differences between Slalom SR6b and pro

I hope someone can answer me while I'm waiting for a Deboichet custom fin.

What are the differences between fin Drake Slalom SR6b and Slalom pro, both same size around 46cm?
I know they are production fins so I don't expect a lot but for sure there is a difference between them.
I mean: speed, upwind, control, spinout, sea condition.
Any comment very wellcome.
emil
emil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2007, 02:39 AM   #2
emil

Nobody has an opinion on this matter? Or I posted my request in the wrong section of the forum?
Please give me an help.
Thanks
Old 25th September 2007, 09:38 PM   #3
Krister

I'm not part of the team and I've only used smaller fins around 30cm. I prefere the Sr6b as it can take more pressure and it feels more secure in chop. The Slalom Pro I have problems with applying pressure on as it tends to let go, from what I've heard it should be ridden differently with little pressure. You can also do a search on this forum as this has been discussed before, see e.g. http://star-board.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1499
Krister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2007, 11:24 PM   #4
emil

Thank you, Krister, quite clear now, unless something has changed since 2006.
As Ian Fox underline: "we continually evolve the fin layups for the slalom boards to fine tune and refine the best "allround" performance for typical sailors ; this means the stock fins are slightly different for year to year ...."
so not sure if the difference between the two 2008 slalom fins are still the same.
Old 26th September 2007, 12:43 AM   #5
geo

I sail a '06 Sonic 95. The board came with drake Pro 32 cms. fin. After sailing a few times, I decided I didn't like the fin because of its unsecure feel at speed (and I am rather a "glide" type sailor than a "power" one) so I bought a set of Deboichet SL2's. despite the Drake Pro is a Deboichet licensed design and almost a copy of the SL2, the feel is totally different as the SL2 feels much more secure.
I must say that this last Summer I had an occasion to sail briefly an iSonic 111 with a 6.5 Vapor and stock (36?) fin; the feel of that modified '07 fin was much better compared to that of my '06 model and much closer to that of original SL2s.
geo is offline   Reply With Quote