Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 2nd October 2007, 02:28 AM   #1
Unregistered

Default evo: control in bigger waves

Hi there,

I´m thinking of buying an evo but I´m not sure which one is the best. I know that has been discussed before, but it would be my only waveboard so it´s worth to ask. I´m an advanced 75 kg rider sailing mostly in the north sea (Römö/Klitti/Hanstholm) and for one month a year in cape town. Sail range is 4.0/4.2 - 5.3 qm. I´m wondering if the 70 or the 75 evo would be the best/most versatile board. When it comes to shlogging out I guess the 75 would be the one but when it comes to bottom turning probably the 70 is the best choice. Has the 70 enough volume to get me out in big waves with gusty marginal wind?

Thanks in advance.

Pete
Old 2nd October 2007, 03:14 AM   #2
Ola_H
TEAM

Well, volume is very exact science from a physical standpoint, but when it comes to real sailing and schlogging, it becomes very personal wh one thinks it "enough". I'm 70 myself and for me the 70 is enough and it is EASILY my best all round board and whenever I can only take one board its always the 70 and I don't even think about taking the 75. With 5 kilos more you will have to struggle some more, but it should still be possible in everythng except the most tricky conditions (lots of current working against you, super, super light, really big, closing channel, onshore or all of the above in some nasty mix). But except for the sinking at standstill, the 70 is very effective and when power is on I think you will move around pretty much as good as on the 75. And once up to speed on a wave, the 70 has a lot more drive to is and you will definitely appeciate that on the good days at your spots (of which I've sailed Hanstholm and Klitmöller).

So, overall the 70 will be more allround and in context of your header "control in big waves", the 70 VERY good. But if you're still unsure about the schogging thing, the 75 is it and in you "normal" Denmark surf it will work excellent too. So, its all about choosing between some extra comfort for the light days or the extra drive and control the good days.

Last edited by Ola_H; 2nd October 2007 at 05:43 AM.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2007, 06:01 AM   #3
chrisuk

I'm 70kg, and use the 70L. (So is Ola)
For you at 75kg, go for the 75L.

ca
chrisuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2007, 02:32 PM   #4
Ola_H
TEAM

But the thing is that the 70 and 75 are not just scaled variants of each other but have slighty different characters. Hence the recommendation for the 70 above.
Old 3rd October 2007, 04:29 PM   #5
Ray Timm

Pete,

I've been riding Evos since Starboard made the first E80. I weigh 84 kg and switch from the E75 to the E70 when I'm powered up on a 5.0. I often switch from the E75 to the E70 when I'm starting to feel a bit overpowered with a 5.3. I'll put the 5.3 on the E70 instead of downsizing my sail. No problem with the E70 handling the 5.3 with my weight on it. Confusing before the edit.

Last edited by Ray Timm; 4th October 2007 at 01:02 AM.
Ray Timm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2007, 06:45 PM   #6
Unregistered

Hi there,

I'm thinking of buying an evo 62. I'm 60kg, my sail range is 4.7/4.2/3.7 and i aslo have a 75L classic wave board. Do you think it's a good choice for medium to hiwind conditions with 3 to 6 feet wave ?

Thanks
Old 4th November 2007, 12:57 AM   #7
Ola_H
TEAM

I think is an excellent choice. At your weight the E62 will be a real revelation. It rips particularly in powered up conditions with small to med waves. Below is powered up 4.2, sideshore but rather small waves and in such conditions the E62 is both easy to sail and offers a great combination of handling sail power driven speed while still staying loose.

Photo. W Glanz
Old 5th November 2007, 12:00 AM   #8
Unregistered

Think's a lot!
It's already in my quiver! I'll give you my first felling about this E62 quite soon.

Mat
Old 20th November 2007, 12:50 AM   #9
Unregistered

Default Evo 62

Hi there !
What a good day riding my new E62! 25/35 kts sideshore with small waves, it was just like if the board was already mine! Realy good feeling in the air, smooth on choppy water and great carving even in underpowered conditions with my 4.2.
I just love it!
Thanks for your advice Ola !

Mat
Old 20th November 2007, 02:10 PM   #10
Unregistered

Default Evo 75 or 80?

Hi there,
I have a similar question. I am in doubt whether to replace my Acid 77 with an Evo 75 or 80.
I am also 75kg and sailing at the North Sea, using a sail range of 4.5 to 5.3. I hardly ever want to go smaller than 4.5 but quite often would like to rigg a 5.7 in stead of a 5.3 (I tried 5.7 on the Acid but it doesn't feel right). So I would like to have the new board to have a bit more low end performance than the Acid 77. By the way, I'd describe my level in the waves as poor and I hope to progress faster on an Evo. Thanks for your recommendations!
)<<((">