Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 4th October 2007, 04:40 AM   #1
Rafa

Default Kombat 114 or Futura 111

Hello, i am from Chile, I am an begonner - intermediate( 170 cms 70 kgs) , I'm just getting in the straps in a 2002 carve 111 that i bought at a very cheap price, and wanted to buy a 2008 board. I dont waterstart , I beachstart only. The places i use to sail are lakes with some chop. My goal is to try to sail in the waves in the future, but this woul be at least 1 one more year, cause the waves here in Chile are really fast and big and for now i would like to progress my flatwater sailing,. Please your advise, thanks.
Old 4th October 2007, 09:16 AM   #2
James

Hola,

The 2002 Carve 111 should be excellent for progressing in flat water sailing.

Of the 2008 boards you are considering, either would be good for flat water sailing, but the Kombat would be better if you also want to use it in waves.

My advice would be to keep the Carve 111 as your board for medium winds, and when you are good at waterstarting buy a smaller board for strong winds and waves... Maybe the Kombat 89 or 96. Find out what other people in your area use in the waves.

Buena suerte.
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2007, 12:06 AM   #3
Ola_H
TEAM

I agree that the Carve wousd serve you well for at least anther year and by then you might have a better ide of what smaller board to get. If you absolutely want a new board, I think the Futura will be better for you now, but when you're ready to venture into waves, the Kombat (preferably a bit smaller) will be easier.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2007, 01:40 AM   #4
Rafa

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I just sold the carve and that for now i am with no board!!! So i need to decide between these 2 models. Thanks!!!

Rafa
Old 5th October 2007, 10:08 AM   #5
James

Get the Kombat 114. It looks good and it will be fun to play with.
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2007, 01:59 PM   #6
PGVirtual

I agree with Ola. Go for a Futura 111, or maybe even one smaller (depends on what sails you are using). It will be more fun in flatwater.
The Kombat may seem like a good idea if you want to cross over into waves, but if your local waves are both fast and big then the K114 will anyhow be hopelessly big.
Focus on flatwater fun until you are ready to start using something around 80 liters!
Old 5th October 2007, 02:17 PM   #7
Ola_H
TEAM

OK. So a new board it is. As I wrote, while the Kombat is also a rather easy board, the Futura is the board that will help you the most at your current level. Even my wife (who is at your level) that normally don't comments on the gear I set her up with came back raving about how easy and stable the Futura (101) was. And it is still a super fun blasting board for me too. Since boards like the Futura generally also have a high second hand value (meaning it will not be that expensive to change boards later if you're going into waves) I think this is the most natural choice.

The question is 101 or 111. If you were reasonably comfortable on the Carve I think you can safely step down to the 101.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote