Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 4th October 2007, 09:44 AM   #1
mike

Default weed fin for Pure Acid 80

The fin box for the Pure Acid 80 (US box) is very short in length (a bit less than 7.5 inches). I had originally thought the weed fin I use for the Kombat 96 could go on the Pure Acid but it doesn't fit. The part of the weed fin I have that inserts into the box is about 9 inches in length.

Are there any recommedations on where I can find a weed fin that fits the Pure Acid's short fin box?
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2007, 09:51 PM   #2
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Mike,
What weed fin are you using in your Kombat (brand, and mounting style (screw at the front or screw at the back)?)
You can often cut off the tab that the screw goes through, and drill a new hole for the mounting screw a little further back in the tab, toward the LE/TE of the fin.
I use a True Ames 9" Blade Weed in the Evo 90 and PA 80 I have and fortunately, I only had to file a radius on the front of the tang/tab on the fin to allow it to fit into the fin slot. Didn't have to move the screw, just radius the front to clearance the radius at the front of the fin slot in these boards.
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2007, 01:27 AM   #3
steveC

Hi mike,

I think I have a solution for you, but you will need to contact True Ames Fins directly to be absolutely sure (http://www.trueames.com/wind.html). The fin model has actually been around for many years, but it's currently out of production, so it's not depicited on the website. To get one you would need to special order it, and face a leadtime for delivery. I special ordered mine in 2004, but it has a Tuttle base, so that's why you need to double check things. I measured my 9.5" (24.1cm) and the distance from the front of the ramp to the back of the Tuttle box is 7.25", but the visible part of the fin at the base intersection is only 6". Of course, when configured with a US box type root, things would grow a bit, but I'm fairly confident that it would come in under 7.5".

It's name is the "Wave Ramp" and it has a relatively short base due to the cutout in the back. The weed shedding ramp is actually super small in size and the general planform shape maintains that of a regular wave type fin. Despite the diminutive ramp, it sheds eel grass and goes through heavy kelp beds with ease. This fin is my favorite True Ames weedfin. I even use it with my slalom board when sailing spots with heavy kelp. Quite surprisingly, when matched with the slalom board, it offers very good upwind drive and tracking. In fact, at least in my opinion, its better than any of the SB Blade Weeds I've owned.

Good luck!
steveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2007, 09:32 AM   #4
mike

Thanks for the input. I was trying to get a weed fin quick as we're getting some storms early this year. Problem is the weeds are still really numerous & it is impossible to sail without a weed fin. Later in fall towards winter the weeds still exist but it is possible to sail with regular fin with only a little trouble.

I did find a fin with Gsport (weed wave). I'm told it will fit. The only problem is that due to supply problems I'm waiting to mid November (but hopefully, maybe earlier...).
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2007, 06:20 PM   #5
Unregistered

Default Weed fin

Mike
I got 2 weed fins from Wardog for my Evo 70 they fit like a dream and are bloody sweet fins aswell. I think his website is Surfing sports.com. I'm in Oz and it took just over a week to get here. Check him out
Cheers
Chris
Old 11th October 2007, 01:33 PM   #6
Lessacher Wolfgang

Default Weedfin

Hallo Mike!
Old 11th October 2007, 01:59 PM   #7
Lessacher

Hallo Mike! If you need help, I work the asymm. fins. I have 24cm Weedfins, rake45°.
US Box, 17.5 cm long, good 2mm longer than 7 inch. Chamäleon and Duo Weed.
Four concaves and two concaves. No spin out. I use the 24cm Duo weed for Speed,
my old boards have US Box. Look: www.cameraid.com/ Lessacher.
Dieter Gerichhausen made in Namibia last year over 38 knots with such a fin.
I only good 32 knots. Wolfgang
Lessacher is offline   Reply With Quote