Old 20th October 2007, 05:15 PM   #1
sent789

Default S Type 115 Replacement

Hello,

My SType 115 was "borrowed" by an uninvited guest from my back-yard and needs replacement. I have a V8 7.5m, and two ezzy infinites 6.6m and 5.4m which I used with this board in anything from 10 - 30 knots. Compromise is the name of the game. I don't expect excellent perfomance at either end of this wind range, I don't want a fleet of sailboards.

The closest equivalent board by volume is the Futura 111L.
The closest equivalent board by size is the Futura 101L.
I am trying to decide between the two.

My current thinking is that the extra width of the 111 will aid in lower wind conditions, but I'm a bit concerned with the extra width (compared to the S-type) when in high wind chop (25knots+). I have noticed that I seem slower when riding wider boards in un-favorable conditions with the S-type than with older narrower style boards. (Of course I only had the S-type for about 18months and was only really getting used to it).

If the boards plane earlier perhaps I can get equivalent low end performance out of the 101 but given starboards history with a flexible interpretation of "volume" I might sink it (weight 80-85kg) and then in 10-15knots I won't have much fun, I draw the line at the waterline, no submarining for me.

A fair percentage of the time is spent with the 7.5m in fluky conditions so I am leaning to the 111, but I really love 20-25knots + so I am willing to give up a bit of performance at the low end for a more fun ride & jumping experience.

I would be interested in anyones thoughts. Particularly comparing S-type 115 with Future 111 or 101 in high wind riding, gybing & chop jumping.

Thanks,
Rich.
sent789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2007, 05:53 AM   #2
Maximus

I Have sailed the 115 S type & the Futura 111. I am also 80-85 kg. The problem with having only 1 board is compromise, but offcourse you already know this. In my opinion the 111 would suit 7.8/6.6 & the 101 6.6/5.4.

You can however extend the range by getting another couple of fins. For example if you went the 101 way, you could use a nice 40cm fin to help get and keep the board planing in marginal conditions. I would also point out that if you kept your weight more towards the 80kg, I would highly reccomend going for the 101.

As far as how the boards compare in terms of sailing, the Futura is more forgiving than the S type ,planes earlier, and in my opinion handles chop way better and turns like the old carve 111 did. So from that I guess you can believe the hype from starboard this time.

In summary if it was me I would go for the F101 because:

- 20-25 knots is the best fun
- 10-15 knot days can be frustratiing regardless of board size
- then F101 is going to be way morer fun than the Stype 115
- challenge yourself with early planing techniques and fin selection
- eat a few less big macs...
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2007, 04:11 PM   #3
Ian Fox
STARBOARD

Hi Rich,

Well, that's a tricky one.

One thing you can be sure of is the new Futura101 won't leave you short changed in the actual (displacement) volume department ; you can be assured of a full 101Lts and enough change to settle any arguments about water density, temperature or even altitude.

Taking into consideration the extra overall and (significantly) tail width of the FU101, you will have a board that "rides" bigger than previous boards of similar volume, so combining the width and the full measure volume, the FU101 certainly rides closer to the borrowed ST115 than the size number alone might describe. If you're the type of rider that doesn't like too much board for a given set of conditions, the potential to take the "smaller" FU101 option for the higher wind days could be pretty attractive.

However, by(typical) sail size sweetspot range, running a 7.5m on the FU101 is pretty much pushing the bottom end of the practical (wind) range of the FU101, and as a medium+ rider weight, you'll be feeling that sooner than lighter riders in marginal conditions. There is no doubt that for an 80-85kg rider looking for well placed performance around 7.5m, then the FU111 is a more ideal Futura choice in those conditions.

Comparison in high wind riding depends a little on individual style; both the Futuras are fairly easy boards to ride "casually"; that's to say, they don't require or demand a specifically technical style nor a lot of rider input to get good performance from them; in many ways they actually can give great performance being left to bounce around on its' own rather than being sailed locked down too rigidly as would be the case (say) with an older board or a harder rail slalom etc. For some guys this is definitely an advantage, others are more sensitive to the "out of control" (or is it the "need to control" feel) and that factor alone is clearly worth one size difference 9at least) when it comes to the rough stuff.

I'd look long and hard at your expectations and sailing % time at the 10-15 end of the range. As Maximus already noted (good details !), you gotta park a compromise somewhere if you really want to cover 10-25 with one board- at least now you got some idea/s on how to apply the choice.

Let us know if you want more info.

Cheers ~ Ian
Ian Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2007, 04:19 PM   #4
Ian Fox
STARBOARD

If you hadn't seen

http://www.star-board.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2907

You might like to check out that feedback/comment for the Futura111 as well.

Cheers ~ Ian
Ian Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2007, 04:45 AM   #5
jgf

Quote:
Originally Posted by sent789 View Post
Hello,

A fair percentage of the time is spent with the 7.5m in fluky conditions so I am leaning to the 111, but I really love 20-25knots + so I am willing to give up a bit of performance at the low end for a more fun ride & jumping experience.

I would be interested in anyones thoughts. Particularly comparing S-type 115 with Future 111 or 101 in high wind riding, gybing & chop jumping.

Thanks,
Rich.
This is why I got the Futura 111 - I will try to push it to marginal 7.5 conditions. Otherwise I would definitely have gotten the 101.

It's a tough call, but I came down in favor of having a bigger board than is necessary for 6.5, in order to get the early planing with a 7.5.

I have sailed the board once (see my recent post), in reasonably powered up and bumpy 6.5 conditions, and was pleased to find that the board didn't get out of control. The 101 probably would have been nicer, but the 111 was still great. I never sailed the S-Type, so I can't offer any comparisons.
jgf is offline   Reply With Quote