Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 22nd October 2007, 02:15 AM   #1
Jean-Marc
TEAM

Default Help : wave sails for 10 Bft wind ?

Help...

Yesterday, 35-45 knots, Acid 62 + NP Zone 3.3 m2 sail;
Today, 35-40 knots, Acid 62 + NP NR 3.6 m2 sail;
Tomorrow, 40-50 knots forecasted...

Which brand makes a 2.6-2.8 m2 sail for 10 Bft conditions (no kiddy sails) ?
Any mast brand shorter than 340 cm and softer than IMCS 15 ?

Any input greatly appreciated !

Cheers !

JM

Last edited by Jean-Marc; 22nd October 2007 at 02:21 AM.
Jean-Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2007, 02:27 AM   #2
crazychemical

the smallest sails i found where ezzy sails ... 2.9 in their 2007 collection if i remember correctly. They work with a 340 mast. I never found anything smaller but seeing as the evo carries like 2.6 sails with it's smallest volume i suppose there must be. I never fonud any in any case ... maybe just eat a lot and add some weight to your body without having to sink so u can compensate or something, you never know, it might work.
Old 22nd October 2007, 02:33 AM   #3
crazychemical

just a question, where the F*** do u surf man, i mean, i've been daying for a bit of wind ... oktober has been far beyond sucky when it comes to wind in the north of france, belgium and the netherlands, which is quite a long range for a student like me. I've had nothing to go with since i came back from leucate mid september (where i got to hit 8 bft with a 4.0 sails, i felt so cool, never sailed smaller then 5.5 before) ... i'm hoping to get a bit of a thing going in november but i'm screwed for both december and january cuz of the exams ...

anyway, hope it helps

cheers
Old 22nd October 2007, 02:36 AM   #4
crazychemical

loft goes 2.8 with 340
Old 22nd October 2007, 02:45 AM   #5
Jean-Marc
TEAM

Haiko,

Believe it or not, it's on my home spot Lake Geneva, Switzerland...! Unusual nuke conditions for sure, but it's soooo damn'd freaking fun !

The smallest I've found so far : Hot Sail Maui Diva 2.8 m2 : 320 cm luff x 133 cm boom (I don't mind the orange color) http://www.hotsailsmaui.com/2008/sails.php?sail=diva

Anything with say 300 cm luff x 120 cm boom on say a 300-320 cm mast ?

Cheers !

JM
Old 22nd October 2007, 06:34 AM   #6
steveC

Hey JM,

My smallest sail is 4.2. After that, it's blowing liquid smoke and the gusts are totally awesome in my book. Really, it's tough to see that outcome often, but Jalama can produce.

I had a few great 5.0 sessions this week, but it sounds like nothing compared to your current catch.
steveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2007, 09:52 AM   #7
James

You might have to get one custom made if you want an adult-style sail in smaller than 2.8. A friend of mine had a 2.3 rig custom made for him from a sail loft in Pozo, but I have no idea what loft it was. He said the boom was less than 1 m long. Unbelievable! I would directly contact some sail makers in very windy areas like Gran Canaria or the Gorge. Maybe they've got something really small in stock.
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2007, 02:13 PM   #8
Ola_H
TEAM

The Hot Diva sails might be one of the smallest around. It is thoroughly tested though as a few of the female Hot riders live at the Gorge, I hear. This can otherwise be a problem with sails this small, ie not enough time to test them to get a good product. I think that to get the most out of this sail, you should rig it on the Hot Freewave 310 mast. This is a "grown up" mast, which is a bt lower in carbon fiber to achieve softer flex. I have not tried that one either, but I have a Freewave 340 coming my wave which I will try to test agains the Hotrod 340 and my current Gulftech 340 (really soft but super good) next time we get that much wind. The Diva sails are really not made with max owerpower wind range in mind, but they are made to not generate too much power which is probably better when its 10bft.

Another option which is less radical in size but maybe would work just as good is the Superfreak 3.2. Superfreak are known for handling more wind than any other sail, partly because their soft character and partly because they can be trimmed to decrease power and still "keep working" (ie not just get flat and twitchy). The 3.2 would set nicely on a soft 340 mast which would be more useful in other sails (I sometimes rig my 4.0 Fire and SO with a 340 and long extension).
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2007, 04:50 PM   #9
LK

Severne Blade 2008, seem to be available in 3,2 and 3,0 sizes.
http://www.severnesails.com/sails/08...ils/index.html
LK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2007, 06:04 AM   #10
Jean-Marc
TEAM

Thanks to all of you for your input.

Cheers !

JM