Go Back   Starboard Forums > Windsurfing School

Old 1st November 2007, 11:03 PM   #1
Andrews

Default Windsurfing school in Europe

Dear Roger (and others who might be able to help

With the temperatures falling here in Norway and the fact that I've had way to little time to windsurf this summer I'm planning on attending a windsurfing school somewhere in the warmer parts of Europe. January/february would be the ideal time for me to go, so I was wondering if you hade some place to recommend? At that time of the year the Canary Islands would be a obvious choice because of the temperature. One center I've found is Rene Egli at Fuerteventura (www.rene-egli.com). Do you know of this center or any others in the area that are good? I'm a beginner/intermediate sailor and I'm planning on taking my girlfriend with me as well. She is a beginner.

Thanks for all your help!
Andrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2007, 06:22 AM   #2
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Andrews,
Sorry, I know virtually nothing about the Canary Islands and Fuerteventrua (means strong winds in Spanish).
Closest I've been is the mainland in southern Spain and the Mistral winds were not blowing so I didn't get to sail.
I think that the conditions (unless it's calmer in the mornings or something) would be a bit overwhelming for a beginner/intermediate, and would be completely intimidating for you girlfriend.
I'm sure they have good schools there, and you can learn, but you can also be overwhelmed and give up the whole idea.
I'd look for somewhere warm with gentler conditions.
Bonaire in the Caribbean comes to mind as it's wonderful for beginners and pretty darn good for more advanced sailors with excellent instruction at all levels.
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2007, 06:58 PM   #3
Duracell

http://www.guycribb.com/
Duracell is offline   Reply With Quote