Old 19th November 2007, 09:11 AM   #1
SCH

Default forum archive?

Hi Roger and Ellen,

I am trying to search the forum for similar questions I might have before I bother you guys - but I'm continuously getting a 'sorry no results' message. I've noticed the new look to the forums since my last visit some time ago - have all the previous posts been deleted? Is there an archive that I can browse through? It would be a shame to loose such a wealth of valuable information!

Best Wishes,

Sam
SCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2007, 09:24 AM   #2
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Sam,
No, the archived forums are still there, but I'll need to check with the IT folks at Starboard about how you can search them.
You may have to go in year by year and run a search on the individual forum (s) you are interested in.
Somehow, I don't think the current search engine can go back to all the archives.
I'll write to Ian and Tony tonite and see what they have to say.
Thanks for bringing this up.
AND
Don't be afraid to ask lots of questions.
I look at this forum 3 or 4 times per day, and it's a little boring seeing nothing posted.
I've been back out sailing once, and plan to sail alot more once I get to Florida for XMAS.
I'm pretty much fully recovered from the surgery (I went back to work up the mast on an aircraft carrier last week), and the surgery did not affect my mind.
I'm going to be a little less help on the new 2008 boards as the only ones I have are the Kombat 105 and Futura 133.
Ask away my friend......!
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2007, 07:57 PM   #3
SCH

Thanks alot Roger. OK .. I'll start making my list! Although I also just like reading through posts sharing similar issues I may be facing at the start of the season. I haven't been here on the forum for a long while and had to reregister. Browsing through your forum reading about other issues narrows my focus and in the past has lead me to realise what questions i should be asking! I'm just dusting my board off and looking forward to getting into it again. I understand you have had some major surgery on your ticker - its wonderful that you are back out sailing again already. All the best! Sam
SCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2007, 09:17 AM   #4
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi again Sam,
Here's what Tony (Starboard IT guru) has to say about seaching the forums:
How can I tell Sam to set up his search on "site:2006:star-board.com" to look for a specific topic?

Key1 key2 key3 site:2006.star-board.com

Key1 key2 key3 site:star-board.com

+key1 means any pages with key1

-key1 means any pages without key1

You can use combination. There’re many more way to search but this is what I’m using every time I want to search for something.

How do I look up everything on the topic "gybing" (or jibing).

(Gybing or jibing or gibing) site:star-board.com

This will search for pages with any of those three words on any of our website.

+jibing +carve site:star-board.com

This will search for pages with both words on any of our website.

How do I look up posts on a specific product (like the F-Type or the Carve).

Carve site:star-board.com

f-type site:star-board.com

Can we use the existing search engine on the archived web sites (I don't remember them working too well)?

Yes basically it works for everything we just cannot control how often they will re-index our website but for the archive websites we’d never update them so it’s likely to work very well.

Please try out Tony's suggestions and let me know if they work for you.
If not, get back with me and we'll try something else.
Tony's suggestions are for using Google or one of the other major search engines.
The protocols may differ a bit with each search engine, but the format should remain
fairly consistent.
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote