Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 4th December 2007, 05:16 PM   #1
Mattias

Default Evo 83 2006 vs Evo80 07/08

Hello!
I have a possibility to buy an E83 2006 for a great price and am keen to buy the board. However, I would appreciate getting som feedback concerning the performance difference between the E83 and the E80 07/08 (same board eh?). The E83 has gotten superb reviews in both mags and in this forum and it would be interesting to know how the E80 compares.......Some issues to get feedback on would be:
1. Wave riding (bottom-turn, cutback, keeping speed etc)
2. Early planing (does the E83 plane earlier due to different rocker etc)
3. Upwind performance
4. Sail carrying capacity
5. Bump and jump performance (i.e. versatility)
6. High wind control (i.e. bumpy in chop etc)
7. Lower end sail size (i.e. how small sails are possible etc)
8. Other useful feedback!

My weight 83-85kg and I would judge myself as a compentent wave sailor (old school). Sailing conditions west/south coast sweden (x-onshore, 1-2m slow waves) and occasionally Denmark. I currently have the E74 and would like to compliment it with a larger wave board. I know you would probably recommend the E80 since it is newer design but I would appreciate getting unbiassed feedback!

Regards,
Mattias

Last edited by Mattias; 5th December 2007 at 12:05 AM.
Mattias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2007, 03:59 AM   #2
Ola_H
TEAM

Hi.

At 70 kg I'm lighter than you, but I've gathered info from heavier riders too, so here goes:
In what follows, 83=2006 EVO 83 and 80=2007/8 EVO 80.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattias View Post
1. Wave riding (bottom-turn, cutback, keeping speed etc)
The two are generally similar (both in fact being EVOs) but wthin the EVO context they differ quite a bit. In bottom turns, the 83 has a slightly more "grippy" nature. YOu can sort of feel the more pronounced concave working. The 80 is more "playful, but definitely handles speed too. In cutbacks, the 80 is noticeably easier to get around. This is the biggest plus of the 80 and it becomes more pronounced the faster the riding speed gets.

Keeping speed in slow waves is kind of similar. I think the 80 has a bit more flow to it, so maybe it has a slight edge.

Quote:
2. Early planing (does the E83 plane earlier due to different rocker etc)
If you measure the actual center line rocker, I don't think the difference is huge, but there are other things that are different on the underside (concaves v etc). The 80 s also overall a more slender shape with thinner rails. would say that with smaller sails, they get up and go about the as early, but I have feeling the 80 gets bogged down a bit easier when you overload it sail wise (ie 6.0+ for me, maybe 5.7+ for you).

Quote:
3. Upwind performance
Hard to say. Maybe an edge to the 3 with big sails and when underpowered but maybe an edge to the 80 when you're powered up. But this could easily be off set by a different fin (the bigger and slightly stiffer fin on the 08 E80 would probably give that one an edge over the other version with their stock fins).
Quote:
4. Sail carrying capacity
See above. The practical limit would be similar, but I feel the 83 handles going slow (ie big sail+upwind+underpowered) better.
Quote:
5. Bump and jump performance (i.e. versatility)
Similar if you ask me. If I sail B&J, I tend to sail more powered up and the 80 likes that better.

Quote:
6. High wind control (i.e. bumpy in chop etc)
See above and below also. The 83 has a way of hugging the water wit its deeper and longer concave, but I still think the 80 has an edge. It stays looser when you drive it hard.
Quote:
7. Lower end sail size (i.e. how small sails are possible etc)
When it comes to riding waves in high wind, the 80 clearly has an edge for me. I wrote the 80 is easier in the cutback and this gets more noticeable when your on the overpowered side, when its choppy, when its not good sideshore etc, or in other words, the less time you have to set up the top turn in a good way, the more you're gonna appreciate the 80 over the 83. When its "clean" its gonna take a bigger and faster wave before the 80 starts to really dominate.
Quote:
8. Other useful feedback!
As you can maybe gather from the answers above, the 80 will handle more speed generally. In a way its a higher performance board. In cross onshore and such stuff, you can load it up with more sail area to keep yourself powered up and still get away with the wave riding. At the same time it will also handle "float out ride in" condition in faster waves better, ie be a good choice when you would really want something smaller but need the volume. These things are for me what makes it a more all round board.

But with the 74 also in the quiver and if the 80/83 is gonna be more of a strictly light wind board, the 83 will handle it fine. Most of our light wind sailing is not spectacularly fast, is it? WIth some "EVO practice" that you have from the 74, I think you will be able to work the 83 fine.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2007, 02:27 AM   #3
Surfmeister

Hej!
I weigh 84kg and also have the E74. I have tested the E80 (not the E83) and would say that the boards are very different in character. Although only 6 liters apart (at least according to stated volumes) the E80 feels considerably larger (+2.5cm in width) and the extra liters really makes it much more practical in gusty/lighter conditions. It is also more forgiving but not a "slashy" and loose as the E74. Although I easily can carry a 5.7 on my E74 (with the 24cm Drake Natural), the E80 would be much more suited to that sail size. I would reckon that the E80 at our weight would have a sail range (in onshore wave conditions) of approx 4.7-6.0 with the sweet spot would be 5.2-5.4.

If it would be a good compliment to the E74? If you sail 5.7 a lot and want to have fun in the waves I would say yes, but I feel that maybe they overlap to much since the E74 has a massive wind range. In the conditions you sail (I am a west coast sailor also) you are usually powered up thereby making the E74 very suitable. Maybe the E90 would be a better bet (especially for those light wind days in Denmark)? I have not sailed it before but have sailed the JP RWW 91 a lot and really liked it. It should have a sweet spot of around 5.7 and should handle 5.3 easily, giving a good overlap since the E74 is really great with a 5.3.

I am myself looking for a two Evo combo and am at a loss what combination would be the best; E70/80 or E74(E75)/E90? Ola can you provide feedback on the E90?

Cheers!

Last edited by Surfmeister; 6th December 2007 at 02:34 AM.
Surfmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2007, 02:20 AM   #4
Ola_H
TEAM

Surfmeister: The E90 is very much a larger version of the 74 (or 08 85) when it comes to feel. If bigger but it turns in a similar way, except that it does its thing at slower riding speeds. This means the 90 will become big earlier and be more sensitive to overpower and such things but at the other hand it will still be very maneuverable and nimble on a slower wave.

The 74-90 quiver will offer less overlap (and hence less choices) i the 4.7-5.0 range than a 74-80 quiver but it will still be enough, I think. Of course, effectiveness with 6.0 and up will be better with the 90.

The 70-80 will be the most performance oriented quiver for you. Still good overlap around 4.7-powered up 5.3, better high wind and high riding speed performance and still OK 6.0 performance but not as good and comfy as with the 90.

If you have a bigger fsw (you have don't you?) I definitely think the 80+70 would be an interesting choice. The 08 E70 is a tad bigger than before on the water and will therefore be even more suited to your weight.

Drop me a line of you're interested in trying the E70 or 75 (ola.helenius@ncm.gu.se). I don't have a 90 unfortunately, only a 100).
Old 7th December 2007, 02:42 PM   #5
Surfmeister

Ola, you reckon that I at my weight I could sail the E7008 with a powered up 5.3? E.g. when the 5.3 becomes to "big" for the E80, just switch to the E70? What size would you reckon would be the sweet spot for the E70? For the E74 I have 4.7 as the definite sweet spot. And yes, you remember correctly, I have a FW98 as my biggest board.
Surfmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2007, 03:19 PM   #6
Ola_H
TEAM

It's hard for me to make an exact estimate, but I've seen Scotty on the E70 with 5.3 (5.4?) now and then. I think he used 5.3 on the E70 at the Guincho WC event for example. So yes, switching to 70 when the 5.3 get big on the 80 will be possible. To give you an idea: I think the E70 will be more natural with a 5.3 than the 74 is with a 5.7.

I think the sweets spot of the 70 will also include 4.7 for you. When you're powered up with 5.0 and down, I don't think you will feel the 70 is any less effective than the 74. You will just sink a bit faster at standstill. But the 70 will then also be just as sweet with a 4.0 (where the 74 starts to get a handful also for you, I guess).

The biggest difference between the 74 and 70 is first that the 70 handles speed better and just is more natural with smaller sails. Then it has a slightly different way of turning. It is in a way less loose and more drivey. Like the 74, it can still be turned over the back foot, but it handles and likes a front foot turn better and it is easier to get more rail into the water. The 70 really likes to be "surfed".

As for overlap, with the 07/08 E80, you will easily be able to take it down to 4.5 in conditions where you want some more "board power". So the 70-80 quiver will still give you lots of trim options in the mid wind range (ie you can choose board depending on wave conditions, wind direction etc).

Last edited by Ola_H; 7th December 2007 at 03:22 PM.
Old 6th February 2008, 03:58 PM   #7
Flying Evo

I am a big fan of the Evo 80 ! Also own a 74 and 70 . The 80 is the bomb for me. Always planing , great upwind and never missing a wave. Also great tuning potential with bigger/smaller fins .With 83 kg I sail the 80 in any condition with 5.3 and 5.8 Manics and Poisons. I doubled my sailing days with the 80. Buy this one and you will enjoy all the days everyone is waiting for the perfect conditions but no one is actually sailing because their gear is to small .
Flying Evo is offline   Reply With Quote