Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 20th January 2008, 02:14 AM   #1
Unregistered

Default Windsurfing decline.

There has been fall in the windsurfing equipment market in Europe.
Has the market grown anywhere in the world in the past year?
Old 21st January 2008, 05:22 AM   #2
Philip

Seeing a lot of people 'returning' to WS at my local sailing spot here in Australia. Most seem to have been caught up in the job merry-go-round of the boom years and are now returning to their home base, dusting off the old gear only to find things have moved on and are upgrading bit-by-bit. Typical comment is 'this is better than I remember. Totally stoked'.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2008, 10:19 AM   #3
Unregistered

Smile Scene in Aus.

The scene in Australia does seem to be growing slightly, I agree with the last post.
There does seem to be more sails appearing around the traps, alot of old gear.

I left windsurfing (Waves & Slalom) about 6 years ago and got a kite which I love. However.....I have recently dusted off my old Tiga longboard and rigged up an old Gaastra Powerfoil with the mylar de-laminating and went for a sail.

Wow.....it did give me that good feeling I had unfortunately forgotten.

Even though longboards are cool, I am currently looking at a new slalom board and sail.
Old 22nd January 2008, 12:04 PM   #4
Unregistered

I have same view...

windsurfing lowered their growth but suddenly picked up again when wide boards appeared. Then kiting made some people think that windsurfing was going to stop and maybe for a couple of years it was the feeling. But I feel since last year too that windsurfing is peacking again and that will grow very fast in the next 3-4 years. Back to the light wind feeling made people remember the great feeling of hi wind that other sports, say sailing or kiting seems to be different. People is re-discovering why windsurfing thrilling feeling is so nice and is coming back or is appearing again.
In my country I feel this year there is a lot more people interested in windsurfing now.

Ricardo