Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 2nd February 2008, 05:37 AM   #1
Nick_66

Default Broken daggerboard Starboard RIO 2008

I own a Starboard Rio S 2008 board and a couple of months ago I broke the daggerboard. This happenend during surfing. I was going really well and the wind was about I think 5 bft. During my session the daggerboard broke!

I got a new one, but I am afraid this will happen again because this daggerboard is flexibel. Do I have to retract the daggerboard with windconditions above 4 bft??
Nick_66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2008, 07:29 AM   #2
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Nick 66,
OK, let me make sure I have the correct picture here?
You were sailing your 2008 Rio S in F5 Bft (that's 17-21 knots) with your centerboard down (deployed) and it broke off pretty much even with the bottom of your board.
Is this this what happened?
If so, what size sail were you using?
Anything above 15 knots should pretty much be short board conditions for the Rio S and why you would want the centerboard (daggerboard) down is quite puzzling to me.
You could go much faster and much higher upwind without the daggerboard, sailing on the lift from the rear fin only.
What is your skill level, and again what size rig where you using?
Hope I can help,
R
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2008, 05:10 AM   #3
Nick_66

At the moment the daggerboard broke of, I used a F2 6,5 sail. The wind was about 5 bft. I think more between 4 and 5. I like to use the daggerboard, because the board is much more stable. I am still a beginner and have to learn a lot. The daggerboard broke of even with the bottom of the board.
Old 3rd February 2008, 07:00 AM   #4
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Nick 66,
OK, your 6.5 m2 rig is about the right size for 17 knots, but is getting a little big for 21 knots.
Is your Rio S trying to plane (i.e. the entire front of the board, back to about the mast foot, is out of the water and the board is accelerating on the back part of the board between the mast foot and the tail)?
If your board is trying to plane, and it sounds like you have all the right gear and conditions for it to plane quite easily, you may want to use a larger rear fin than the 41 cm that comes with the board (Rio's used to come with the 41 cm plus a nice 52-58 cm race type vertical fin).
Then I think your stability issues may disappear.
Actually, when the Rio gets up to planing speed and beyond, the daggerboard (centerboard) normally makes the board quite a bit less stable.
Have you tried planing without the daggerboard?
Was your daggerboard replaced under warranty?
Soon, I think, you will only want to use the daggerboard when you are underpowered and cannot get the board to plane (displacement or "schlog" mode where you want the daggerboard deployed so you can "rail the board" to get upwind better in non-planing conditions).
If you think the daggerboard might break again, you could begin to only use it when you are pretty sure the board and rig are underpowered and you are not going to plane.
As soon as your Rio acts like it can plane, release a little pressure on your rig, and kick the handle to raise the daggerboard.
Your Rio is more likely to plane with the daggerboard up than down.
Your board is also wide enough (76 cm) that you will soon find it very stable, once you figure out where to stand over the centerline.
Hope this helps,

Last edited by Roger; 3rd February 2008 at 10:10 AM.
Old 4th February 2008, 04:56 AM   #5
Nick_66

Hi,

Thanks for the detailed answer. This really helps!

The daggerboard was replaced under warranty. No problem.

Thanks for your help.

Nico
Old 10th February 2008, 03:37 PM   #6
erin

Hi Roger,

I started a thread in the free forum about the RIO and some other SB boards but perhaps I made it too much difficult so I didn't get the answer I wanted , so I try to continue this tread insted.

Is the flexibel dagger working as it is described in the sales side in the way I hope, to give good or at least decent light wind performanse even to more advance surfer ?

Why is the upper limit for all three sizes the same 9,5 sqm ? Is it the same foot straps
posision contra center of the boards that counts and not the ofo ?

Would be great for some answer about this and maybe also comparing with Phantom 320
ref. to my other thread http://www.star-board.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3360

BR Erland
erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2008, 08:58 PM   #7
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hello Erland,
First, I can only answer general questions about the '08 Rio because I do not have one yet.
I will get a Rio M in a couple of weeks, and then I can address your questions more directly, from first hand experience.
Since I haven't sailed the Rio "flexible" centerboard, I cannot answer your "flexibel daggerboard questions diectly beyond suggesting that all centerboards/daggerboards have some flex (even the huge wood or all carbon racing centerboards for IMCO etc.) so designing some flex into the centerboard "system" is perfectly normal.
As far as the sail size, I do not have any idea why they limit the sail size to 9.5 m2 but I will ask. I'm pretty sure this is a "recommendation" and you could use a larger sail if you like, but perhaps without as much benefit as you might think.
Also, currently, most sails over 9.5 m2 are formula racing sails which may not work so well on the Rio in lite winds using the centerboard/daggerboard.
Since I have not sailed the board (or even seen one other than pictures on the internet) I cannot comment on the footstrap positions.
I liked the '07 Phantom alot. It became my favorite board to teach from last year.
Sorry I cannot fully answer your questions, but I'll try to dig up some answers and get back with your after I have the board and can do a little testing.
R
Old 29th March 2008, 11:41 PM   #8
erin

Hello Roger

I saw in an other thread that you now have a Rio M. Have you tryed it yet with any bigger sail a/o have any answer to my questions above. Maybe I can look at one myself
next week but it maybe little difficult for me to try it. I also considered that I should go for a Isonic 133 (2007) instead.

BR Erland
Old 30th March 2008, 07:13 AM   #9
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Erland,
I've been working (on the ships) pretty steadily lately, so I've only had the new Rio M out one time.
It was pretty windy, about 16-20 knots, so I pulled out what I thought was a 6.6 m2 Sailworks Hucker, but it turned out to be an NXslm 4 cam race sail instead.
So, it rigged it anyway and set off on the new Rio M.
The new '08 Rio's are a whole different concept than the previous Rio's (which were simply a Start without the roller on the back).
I set the mast foot in the middle of the track (it's a pretty short track) and set the footstraps all the way back and outboard.
As soon as I beach started and got hooked in the Rio M took off.
I don't think it was faster than an appropriately sized (for 6.6 m2 conditions) Futura or Isonic, but it was a pretty quick ride just the same.
The board is very well mannered both in longboard mode (centerboard all the way down and heading very high upwind, riding on the lift from the centerboard) and in shortboard mode with a 35 cm Tangent Dynamics Weed fin.
I really enjoyed that afternoon and I hope to get out on the Rio M with a larger rig (8.5 m2 I think) very soon.
As far as the centerboard "breaking off" I think that was probably due to using it in fully planing conditions and not hard upwind.
I had no problems with the CB in my Rio M (works really easy as soon as you take the pressure off). When I went hard upwind, on the lift from the CB, I was not fully planing.
I could get almost as high in shortboard mode, fully planing if I "rode" the fin lift.
Hope this helps,
P.S. The weather is warmer here and I hope to get the Rio M out this week in lighter winds.
As far as the Rio M vs the Isonic 133, there's not really any comparison.
One is a longboard, that rides sort of like as shortboard, when the CB is retracted.
The Isonic 133 is a full on slalom machine (shortboard) and has none of the weight and other complexities of the longboard (Rio).
Apples vs oranges in my opinion.
Old 4th April 2008, 08:05 PM   #10
erin

Hi Roger

I know my comparison may look a little weird but I’m not sure of which way to go.
(If you read my thread, http://www.star-board.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3360 it might explane a bit more.)

If I chose Isonic it be mostly for the challenge to test my limits and as I understanded it could be tricky in the beginning before I get used to it. But is it much different from formula ?
Some other choice could maybe be a big Carve or Futura (if I can afford it) instead ?

The Rio should increase my TOW a lot more, I think. But the question is it also thrilling enough for my skills ? Can I use my 9,5 formula sail with a bigger fin ?

I realy hope so and look forward to hear from your light wind experience to come.

BR Erland