Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 2nd February 2008, 05:40 PM   #1
sturle

Default Futura 101, wood vs. technora

Hi.
If I was blindfolded and could not know if I sailed on a Futura 101 wood or technora. How could I notice which board I was sailing on? Could I experience a difference in performance/speed ? Could anyone easy say which board you are on? I have ordered the futura 101 wood, but now they only have the technora available. Another question: My weight is 80 kg. I will use Severne overdrive 6.5 and 7.5. Is 101 the best size for me, or should I look at the 111? And another important question. Would the s-type 115 be faster than the futura 101/111 with the given sails?

Sturle
sturle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2008, 06:18 PM   #2
Ola_H
TEAM

Check this post by Ian:

http://www.star-board.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3342

Cheers,
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2008, 06:57 PM   #3
Ian Fox
STARBOARD

Hi Sturle,

Most experienced riders would feel a difference in the blindfold test.
(thanks Ola, to save the re-typing on this)

As for the size choice, you could very well take the Futura111, especially if you will often be on 7.5m. For 6.5m/7.5m OverDrive (grunty powerful sails) the sweetspot Futura size is definitely 111 rather than 101. 101 is a valid choice, but be aware that the 7.5m OD really will have you at the upper (sail size) sweetspot limit- still sailable but not as sweet as 111.

ST115 vs Futura111 - "Fastest" is always subjective or influenced by too many variables.. Top speed when both fully lit in open water conditions is pretty even but I would say advantage Futura111 due to EASE of speed over a wider range, bottom end (plus general all round nature) and (maybe suprisngly) better sail/power match to OD 7.5m.

Cheers ~ Ian
Ian Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2008, 07:39 PM   #4
Shayne

Default Rider weight - Sail size - Board Volume Relationship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Fox View Post
Hi Sturle,

As for the size choice, you could very well take the Futura111, especially if you will often be on 7.5m. For 6.5m/7.5m OverDrive (grunty powerful sails) the sweetspot Futura size is definitely 111 rather than 101. 101 is a valid choice, but be aware that the 7.5m OD really will have you at the upper (sail size) sweetspot limit- still sailable but not as sweet as 111.

Cheers ~ Ian
Hi Ian,

This question, and your reply is really interesting to me because I am considering the same boards for use with a 7.5 . The difference is though, I am only 66 kg, so I have been wondering about the relationship between rider weight - sail size - and board volume ?
Are the recommended sail sizes for boards based on an average sized rider ?
For instance, would a 7.5 be closer to the sweetspot on the F101 if it was being ridden by a 66 kg sailor rather than 80 kg ?

Thanks,
Shayne
Shayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2008, 01:02 PM   #5
Ian Fox
STARBOARD

Hi Shayne,

Q1= Are the recommended sail sizes for boards based on an average sized rider ?
A1= They are based on an "average" of various rider weights feedbacks/preferences.
So yes, in a roundabout way, they are averaged between the preferences of 60-90kg test riders, but you could consider them more aligned to "typical" use by (average) 70-80kg riders.

Q2= ...would a 7.5 be closer to the sweetspot on the F101 if it was being ridden by a 66 kg sailor rather than 80 kg ?
A2= Yes. Marginally. The extra reserve of size (planing area and volume) afforded by a lighter rider weight allows a (given sized) board to effectively carry more static and dynamic load/weight (from the bigger rig) so the max sail size (range) can be seen to increase marginally on a given board as the rider gets lighter.

With a 66kg rider, the Futura101 would be further into the sweetspot range with a 7.5m than with a heavier 80-90kg rider. Also, by using a lighter (dynamic, more than static) weight sail @ 7.5m will further optimise things..
(OverDrive is a pretty grunty sail, in powered use it can tend to load a board even more [for a given size} than some "lighter"[..less grunty] alternates )

Cheers ~ Ian

Ian Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2008, 08:24 PM   #6
sturle

Default Fin for Futura 111 wood

Hi,
I ended up with the Futura 111 wood. I have only used it one time. I'm really satisfied! Put on the Severne overdrive 6.5. I was nearly overpowered. My question is, should I buy a smaller fin to use with 6.5 in overpowered conditions ? Maybe a 36 or 34 ?
sturle is offline   Reply With Quote