Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 15th September 2006, 01:12 AM   #1
jijou

Default Aero kombat 117 and fin

Hello

I'm sorry. My english is pretty bad. I've tried to find information on the aero in the spanish and french forum but not a lot of people know this board.
Normally, monday i'll receve my aero kombat 117. My biggest sail is 6,1 and I wanted to know if in the "small wind" and small waves it's interesting to put this size or this board is done for bigger sails. Also I wanted to know witch fin (28 cm?) I have to put when I use the 6,1.
Last question : my girl friend want to use this board. She has already done windsurf with the starboard starsurfer 140l. Do you think the aero is easy for a beginner.
Thanks

Jerome
jijou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2006, 07:06 PM   #2
Duracell

Default RE: Aero kombat 117 and fin

Hi Jerome, I've put an 8.1 and 7.5 on mine and must say that they "work". The KA117 is with 6.1/6.8 (and wind that fully powers those sails) in a really fun freeride/wave modus. I've used a 5.0 as well and that still works, although by then the board does get a bit big. With larger sails its more like riding a carve and just "cruising" catching the occasional wavefront to "pop". As far as I know the starsurfer 117 is identical to the A117 (predecessor of KA117) (don't know about a starsurfer 140). If she isn't too heavy it should be fun. Just one thing: if you bought the wood version I would try and talk your "learning girlfriend" into learning a bit more on a different board until you are sure she won't fall on it or have the mast whack the tip of/off the board... Wood looks nice but it isn't something made to last long in/on a surfboard, repairs take long and are exspensive.

Fins: different people different tastes.
I weigh 80 and use the stock freeride fin (380) with 6.1 and 6.8 and I like it (no tailwalking, good enough speed (usually don&#39;t wear GPS on KA but when then 27 ~ 30 kts which is much faster than most people are prepared to (can) go in those conditions, haven&#39;t seen any steam behind me though ) through the waves (< 1.5 m)). Still haven&#39;t heard that anybody was happy with the wave fin.

Have fun
Duracell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2006, 11:40 PM   #3
jijou

ok thanks a lot Duracell for your exhaustive answer. Somebody can tell me if a fin 28 cm could work good with this board to surf small waves.
Old 17th September 2006, 07:25 PM   #4
Ola_H
TEAM

Jijou

Duracell has allready commented very well on the KA117. As for fins, yes, you can go for a 28 fin for waves. However, if you truly would like to exploit the wave riding potential of the board, you should try to get a hold of a big wave fin rather than just go for a smaller freeride fin. I use the stock TT Wave 30 fin on my A117. Its a very nice fin for wave riding with a 5.9-6.3 but not that good for straightline sailing. Worth a try if you can find one at your local Starboard supplier (if you find a 06 A117 or A127 owner who doesn&#39;t not do waves you might be able to trick them into selling their TT fin to you...). Otherwise one option could be to special order a Wardog FreeWed fin from www.surfingsports.com. The Aero turns nicely with a freeride fin too, but nothing like how it rides with a true wave fin.

A comment on beginner sailng: Its not the most stable board, but still nice for someone that has a bit of experience on other boards. My wife (waterstart-planing level but no straps and harness) likes it and the nose looks like new despite a few catapult crashes.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2006, 08:29 PM   #5
jijou

Hello Ola
I think I understood everything.of course I was thinking about a wave fin. Never I used a board like this(so wide), that&#39;s why i have no idea about the relation fin-board.I was afraid that the 28 fin was too small because the width give you a lot of "power" to push on to the board.
I don&#39;t find the words to explain exactly.
Anyway thanks very much for your help.
Now I have to find a wave fin with a tuttle box...
Have fun
Old 17th September 2006, 10:18 PM   #6
Ola_H
TEAM

On a wave, I don&#39;t think the width will "generate more power". The 2006 original 30 cm wave fin also sails small for its stated size (just like the Drake Natural wave fin - similar planform).

In a straight line I don&#39;t think the width influences this so much either except that if it is choppy, a wider board will adapt to the chopp less good and hence the fin will see more air. This will make a slightly longer fin more forgiving.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2006, 12:11 AM   #7
steveC

Hi jijou,

Regarding locating a wave fin with a Tuttle base, I would recommend checking out the True Ames website as follows:

http://www.trueames.com/wind.html

True Ames offers most of their fins with the different base types found in the market today. While I&#39;m unsure of their general availability in your neck of the woods, you can always special order direct from True Ames. All my wave fins are the True Ames brand.

If you have a taste for more unusual "out of the box" type fins, Wolfgang Lessacher in Germany will make you a custom fin with the base type you prefer. I have a number of his weedfins, and they are the best I&#39;ve found. I have no experience with Wolfgang&#39;s wave fins, but based on the great performance of his weedfins, I have little doubt that would fall short of expectations. Check out his website below.

http://www.cameraid.com/Lessacher/

steveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2006, 04:15 AM   #8
jijou

thanks everybody for your help

jijou