Go Back   Starboard Forums > Kevin`s Corner

Old 8th February 2008, 06:11 PM   #1
dude

Smile What does the new twin fin concept give you?

Hi!

One of the most interesting things that is happening on the wave board market today, I think, is the use of twin fins - or the like - coupled with a board shape that fits it.

What has twin fins given you?

Niklas
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KevinGaastra2.jpg (40.5 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by dude; 8th February 2008 at 09:02 PM.
dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2008, 07:49 AM   #2
Kevin Pritchard
Dream Team Member

Well for me they are just something new and fun to ride. I have been riding nearly the same board for the past 15 years and it is just a fun feeling to ride something new and interesting and try to work it all out. I feel much better off the top than on a single fin yet it still is not all that on the botum turn.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kevin Pritchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2008, 02:45 AM   #3
dude

Thumbs up Grasping for insight...

Thanks for getting a little insight to what the twin fins can offer. I am very interested in trying one. I would be really excited if I got the chance!

I guess it can be a personal preference whether one likes them or any of the particular multi fin configurations.

Of what I've heard, these twin fins require drive from either quite a lot of wind or a powerful wave and, now I'm guessing, this can mean that they work best with wind being for 4.7 or stronger when on a slow wave and, say, 5.0 and stronger on a fast wave. Sorry if I'm reaching for nothin' in my thinkin' here
Old 20th February 2008, 10:02 AM   #4
jonthesailorman

Hi Kevin, I was wondering if you have gotten a chance to sail one of the twinzer prototypes in on-shore stuff yet? I ask because that is usually the conditions I get to play in. The idea sounds like it would have some serious merit in such conditions, maybe keeping with the wave a lot easier. Also what is the affective volume range of the twinzers so far? It seems like quatro is keeping their boards under 80L's because they don't work as well as the single fins.

I'm definitely looking forward to see what the future has in store for this intriguing concept.
Old 21st February 2008, 08:16 PM   #5
dude

I'd like to hear about sailing a twinser in waves that aren't point breaks and that generally are hard-to-predict when they break, like they are on my home spot.

I myself, have just rediscovered my PureAcid 74 2007 with a Drake 24 cm fin in side 4.7 conditions - the 24 Drake feels like a 21 cm on-shore fin! This low-area fin does wonders for tight turning of the board in the bottom turn. I'm just getting ahead of myself here about the twinser thing, but perhaps it does something for the board in the top turn on the wave. Once I get more experience of wave sailing, I would definitely want to try out a twinser!

Last edited by dude; 24th February 2008 at 12:54 AM.
Old 23rd February 2008, 03:09 AM   #6
jan1

I was on twinnys 10 years ago. I liked them pretty much but a problem was the control in over power conditions. Any experience in over power, kevin?
Aloha jan
jan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2008, 03:12 AM   #7
jan1

Default peahi windsurfing

Hi kevin,
what kind of board do you use at peahi?
jan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2008, 04:01 AM   #8
Kevin Pritchard
Dream Team Member

I have been using the twin fins all over the world. I took one to Brazil and it was a bit small in the onshore stuff. At Camp one which is still pretty sideshore but not a point break by any means.. they still rip.

As for peahi, i will still go with my single fin up there. A bit more predictable in the big stuff.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 6th March 2008, 06:05 PM   #9
Doby

Mistral will soon release a twizer 231, 63 wide 92 liters. Do you think this board will work in onshore stuff for a big guy?

Last edited by Doby; 6th March 2008 at 10:50 PM.
Doby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2008, 03:58 AM   #10
Kevin Pritchard
Dream Team Member

I have been having trouble with my twin fins in light onshore wins. I have been needing the speed from my single fins, but not sure if I have the wrong twin fin for the lighter winds or what my exact problem is.