Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 5th March 2008, 03:25 AM   #1
hyper

Default Closest board to Formula: isonic or futura?

Hi:
I was a Formula rider and I want to change for something "softer".
My intention is getting into plane with 9 m sail and 10-11 knots. I am 73-76 kgs. No need a board for more than 15 or 16 knots (I would change to a smaller board!).
Could anybody help me? Does anyone have experience with Futura 133 or 144? Should I go for an isonic to get early into plane?

Thank you all!Close
hyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2008, 04:02 AM   #2
Ken

Hyper,

I recently bought an isonic 111 to fill the gap between my formula board and my 105 liter free ride board. My 105 board isn't balanced well with anything over a 6.5 sail. I weigh 80 kg and was looking for something that would fill the 6.5 to 8.5 sail range. This is a little different than your situation, but my experience with the is111 is that it powers up very well with a 7.5 in 15 knots. I haven't used the 8.5 yet, but I have sailed it with a 6.5 and 5.7 on some pretty windy days 18-25 knots.

The isonic feels much like a mini formula board. Quick to plane, outside footstraps, fast and a bit scary in rough water. Like the formula board, it handles the rough water pretty well, it's the sailor's confidence that needs to be developed.

It jibes well, but takes a bit wider radius because of its width.

From what I have read, the Futura is a smoother riding board and more user friendly than the isonic. Slower to plane, but just about as fast. If you want something "softer", then the Futura is probably your answer. However, at your weight, the 122 or 133 may be better suited to your 75kg.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote