Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 13th March 2008, 03:13 PM   #1
NORTHY

Default Search Facility?! (>2006 Evo 90+ )

Whats wrong with the search facility or how im using it?

I want to research the difference/feedback on the large 90+ Evo's since 06...so for example i type in "Evo XTV" to search the forums and it says no matches?!

I consitently fail to be able to use this - is it me?!

PS
Any feedback on the design of the Evo 91, 90, 90XTV and 100 XTV since 06 much appreciated!
NORTHY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2008, 03:19 PM   #2
Ola_H
TEAM

Don't know about the search, but I've used all the boards except the old 90 (ie 91, 90XTV and 100). What are you looking for?
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2008, 03:32 PM   #3
NORTHY

Thanks Ola

Im looking for something bigger to compliment my Evo 80 (07)...although i may drop this down to the 75 - but in essence im looking for which model will float the most so i can get out in lighter cross-off gusty winds for riding (DTL) ie float n ride.

Im circa 83kg.

I have a RRD FSW 94 (tucked in 59-60cm wide) - would one of these Evo models float me better? And gotta be better when im actually on a wave right?

Clearly the 100 has the physical size but will it feel cumbersome? Also - dont think the 100 is common in the UK for me to get 2nd hand...

PS
Dont really want a FSW as they feel too stiff - want a large wave board, but with the ability to get me out over swell in the wind shadows.

Cheers!
Old 13th March 2008, 04:22 PM   #4
Ola_H
TEAM

OK. 91 is maybe slightly faster, but I don't think its worth it compared to the smother top turn of the XTV models which gives the boards more speed range once on a wave.

As for 90 vs 100, for me they feel rather similar when turning. Both turn surprisingly well and even the 100 will hit the lip easier than a good FSW 80 liter board in smaller cross on conditions. The EVOs just turn on their rockers so you don't need to bury so much rail which is why it is possible even for me at 70 kilos to sail the monster EVO 100.

But all that comes with a price. There will be ind of a speed limit on them. When wave riding speeds gets high enough, the widths will be to much to handle. This is where the 100 will max out before the 90. The 90 will also be generally nicer to sail powered up since its thinner overall (the small width difference really ain't no big deal). The 100 is especially designed both to take a heavier sailor (more volume by lots of extra thickness) and a bigger sail (a slightly different rocker entry).

At your weight, I think the 100 will overall only be a better board if you do lots of sinking (ie sail places where the wind is pretty much zero). The 100 would also be beneficial if you plan on using very big sails (6.5, 7.0 etc). As soon as you have the slightest power in the sail, the large footprint of the 90 will probably serve you well enough. And as soon as you have some wind (sub planing but moving) I would even say the thinner and flatter shape of the 90 will feel more stable when crossing white water.

So, in the end, the 100 is pretty much for heavier people or a super special super light wind floating too. It will turn in a similar manner as the smaller EVOs, but the range of conditions where it will feel ice will be smaller than for the 90.

Personally I've found that the 80 is as far as I need to go for a light wind wave board. I'm 70 kg. Even the 75 covers pretty much all light wind conditions (but I found that when I have the 75 in my quiver, I end up almost always using the 70 instead so therefor the 80 makes more sense for me).
Old 13th March 2008, 04:48 PM   #5
NORTHY

Many Thanks Ola.

Do you think the 90 will feel a little more floatier / more bouyant than my RRD FSW 94 (despite what the vol numbers indicate)?

FYI
L W Tail
Evo 90 236 62.5 39.5
RRD 94 240 60 37.7

PS
The 90 2007 and 2008 shape are the same, correct?

Thanks again,
Northy
Old 14th March 2008, 04:24 PM   #6
Ola_H
TEAM

Volume is volume if you're at absolute standstill, but a slow moving speeds I think the EVO will feel a bit floatier. Maybe more importantly the rounder shape and particularly the flat deck of the E90 makes it very stable and easy when schlogging. Every time I get on rounder, more doomed deck boards I am astonished by how much the deck (and upper rail) shape affect schlogging stability.
Old 15th March 2008, 12:25 AM   #7
NORTHY

Thanks Ola - i suspect you will be right based on the plan shape - will try a pals 91 and give it a go...i assume this will feel as float as the 07/8 90 xtv?
Old 15th March 2008, 12:45 AM   #8
Ola_H
TEAM

Yea, when it comes to flat, the 91 will feel similar to the 90 XTV.