Old 18th March 2008, 09:39 PM   #1
Ken

Default Fin for iSonic 111

I have a relatively new 08 iS 111 and will use it mostly for free sailing, but may race occasionally. I will use my 7.5 most often, but will go to my 8.4 and 6.6 on occasion with this board. I weigh 80kg

My experience so far with the Drake fins (38 & 44) that came with the board is that they seem a bit slow. I expected a little faster top speeds (gps) than I am seeing. Could be my sailing skill, but possibly the fins.

The 38 fin will spin out occasionally while pointing slightly up wind in 10 to 20 cm chop, but the real problem is getting the fin back in line after the spin out. Many fins seem to correct easily, but this one doesn't. I know how to pull the fin back in with the back foot, but unless I get it fully back in line, the spinout continues. I have been windsurfing and racing for 25 years and this fin is the worst I have experienced for correcting after a spinout.

I haven't had any real spinout problems with the 44.

Any suggestions for fins that will improve control, increase speed & help with spinout. I usually sail in flat water with small chop (10 - 20cm).

In a previous thread, someone recommended the Deb SL2, which is an option. Does anyone have experience with the Tectonics Gold Wing or any other outstanding slalom fin?

Thanks,

Ken

Last edited by Ken; 19th March 2008 at 01:20 AM.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2008, 09:07 PM   #2
Chris Pressler

Hi Ken,
sailed the Isonic 111 some weeks ago. Quite wide sailrange can be carried by this board. Had a 9,0 on. Would suggest 42 or 44 for 8,4, for the smaller sails from 6,5 - 7,5 36 to 40.
I use myself MFC. They are quite nice,.
But for sure the Deboichet fins are hard to beat, no discussions. Vector should work fine, too.

Good luck for your races,
Chris

www.chrispressler.com

Last edited by Chris Pressler; 24th March 2008 at 11:32 PM.
Chris Pressler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2008, 11:20 PM   #3
Ken

Chris,

Thanks for the reply. I checked out the MCF fins and their largest is a 38. Most of my sailing on the iS111 will be free riding blasting and so far, my expeience with the 38cm Drake fin that came with the board is that it is too small for my style of sailing.

Last time out I was on the Drake 44 on my 7.4 sail in variable winds up to 20 knots. The 44 didn't seem too big in the 20 knot gusts. I probably won't invest in more than one good fin and what I want is something that will work best with the 7.4 in choppy conditions. The Tectonics Gold Wing seems like a good option and they will make any size I want. I will have to look into Vector.

I know what the Deboichet fins go for in formula sizes, but what do the slalom fins cost in US dollors?
Old 24th March 2008, 11:44 PM   #4
Chris Pressler

Hi Ken,
check this http://www.mauifin.com/fin_info.php?id=11
Slalom fins are up to 38, race models up to 52, but they work fine in Slalom.
I would recommend the Race 40 or 42 for the 7,4 in 20 knots. Like the 38, too, which is good for downwindblasting on this sailsize. I do not know the Tectonics and as well not the pricing for Deboichet Slalom fins.

Cheers,
Chris

www.chrispressler.com
Old 5th May 2008, 08:08 PM   #5
Tjabo

Default MFC for is101

Anybody who has tested MFC on an isonic 101 (2008) and can give me any feedback regarding performance and size (Chris)? I will mainly/only use it with my 7.7 Mauisail TR4 ans I weight about 75 kg.

Or fin suggestions that may work with is101 is also welcome, I know about Deb but since it seems very hard to order any fins from them at this moment I'm looking for the "second best" alternative.

Thanks
Tjabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2008, 12:12 AM   #6
Ken

Tjabo,

By the way, I purchased the Tectonics Tomcat 42 for my iS 111 and it is working great. However, the Tuttle head had to be sanded significantly to fit in the box. 0 spin outs in pretty rough chop with my 7.6 TR-4, and what seems like good speed. I haven't had the opportunity to test the top end yet, but we shall see.

The MFC fins - SL & RC have those little lines running through the fin material. I didn't like how they can be felt with the touch of the hand (not a smooth foil surface), plus I think MFC real strength is in wave fins, so I went for the Techtonics.
Old 7th May 2008, 04:32 AM   #7
Chris Pressler

Hi Tjabo,
used alreday the MFC SL 38 (2007 model without lines) and worked fine with 7,7. Felt that I could go even bigger a bit, like on a 40. Did not test yet, but will let you know.

Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10th May 2008, 04:56 AM   #8
Tjabo

Thanks Chris, Ken (& Taty), I've just bought MFC 38 and 34 so if we ever get some wind again I'm ready to try them...
Tjabo is offline   Reply With Quote