Old 2nd April 2008, 02:20 AM   #1
Friend-O

Question Status on Maui?

A couple of buddies cancelled their Maui trips due to some vacation rental fiasco goin on over there. What's the real story?

Is it that much of a pain to rent a car and drive from Kihei? I hear traffic is an hour or more?

Do I have to go to Aruba?
Old 2nd April 2008, 02:28 AM   #2
Unregistered

Kihei to Kanaha is 20-25 min...Haiku to Kanaha is 10-15. There is also excellent sailing right in Kihei. Obviously Hookipa is a little farther, but that is less of a tourist spot.

Or you could go to Aruba, and sail in flat water downwind of a bunch of new hotels
Old 2nd April 2008, 02:48 AM   #3
Call-It

Question Confused.

Why would my buddies cancel if it's only a 20 minute drive?

Also, I thought all the vacation rentals in Haiku got shut down?
Old 2nd April 2008, 04:09 AM   #4
Unregistered

Boy, I wish it was only a 20-min drive. I seem to sit in traffic with all this construction going on and it does take about an hour to get to Kanaha from Kihei. If your going to Sprecks or Hookipa, add another 15-25 minutes. I work in Kihei and live in Kahului, so, I am pretty tuned up on the situation. You can do it in 20-minutes if its like midnight and there is no traffic and you dont follow the speed limits.

This TVR fiasco has been real pain for A LOT of people here. If only we could recall Tavares so she can go back to running her bowling alley. You should check the polls on the Maui News. she has a 123% approval rating. Awue! Save us!
Old 2nd April 2008, 09:52 AM   #5
Unregistered

Dude, what are you smokin? You can get from central Kihei to Puunene in about 15 minutes, maybe 5 more if ya gotta wait for the construction. From there, Kanaha and Sprecks are about the same, depending on whether you turn left or right. Hookipa is another story because you need to go thru Paia, not so much fun with the 8000 or so new houses in Haiku.

Man, it sure is tiresome listening to all the TVR cheerleaders. Your gal Charmain still has choke support from the people who care about Maui.
Old 2nd April 2008, 12:40 PM   #6
Maui Local

Exclamation

We don't want you here. We've got plenty of tourists already, and your money isn't worth the space you take up when you're here. Unless you're an unbelievably hot babe from Italy or Sweden or Brazil, go to Aruba.
Old 2nd April 2008, 01:13 PM   #7
H........G............A

Wink Right on, Maui Local!

You tell em, brah.
Old 2nd April 2008, 01:33 PM   #8
Unregistered

Thumbs down Haiku to Kanaha?

I don't see how anyone gets from Haiku to Kanaha in 10-15 minutes, not unless they're on crack. Ten minutes from Haiku barely gets you to Ho'okipa. From there it's another twenty minutes minimum to Kanaha. Total 30 minutes if you're lucky.

Guess what, asshats, Kanaha is a shorter drive from Kihei than it is from Haiku.
Old 2nd April 2008, 02:56 PM   #9
Unregistered

Dude you are so right - I was trying to point out that Kihei is plenty close enough, I forgot how long it takes to get past all that junk between Mamas and Paia. So there it is - Kihei is actually closer, mr TVR promoter tool.

I love it how the same people who are like 'build build build' turn around and cuss at da traffic. I remember when you could sit at Cozy Corner (where the Paia Fish Market is now) for 20 minutes and maybe 5 cars would go by. Now it takes 20 minutes to cross the street.
Old 2nd April 2008, 03:36 PM   #10
steveC

Again, I wonder how the TVR shutdown has affected the rental rates of "legal" Northshore rentals, particularly those on the beach. Nobody seems to want to address this issue. While a bunch of smoke and mirrors stuff is offered in pretended support for the local scene, I think that the bottom line is focused on leveraging the interests of large hotel firms on the Southshore.

Why would anybody want to drive back and forth all over the island while on vacation just to try and have some fun? Sounds like a kind of funky vacation to me.
steveC is offline   Reply With Quote