Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 9th April 2008, 04:19 PM   #1
pfaffi

Send a message via Skype™ to pfaffi
Default F162 trim setup?

I am working on the trim setup for my F162 and until now I found no satisfying setup with my Severne CR 08 in 11,7. Tried several fins and mast positions. Main point seems how to make the board fast in gusts. Compared to the F161 the F162 is more sticky and keeps the balance all time on front leg. So its difficult to reduce the wetted water surface by bringing back the weight.
If someone has experiance how to solve that issue pls respond.
BR from Austria, peter
pfaffi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2008, 09:09 PM   #2
Unregistered

Hallo Pfaffi,
just unpacked the board and no chance to test it yet but talking with a top sailor he tells me that the "sticking" feeling is just an impression.The nose flies lower than 161 (true) but it doesn't stick at all.I've trimmed my footstraps all the way back and plane to go with reared mast base.In light air you do need a powerfull fin (r19) and lot of downhaul.
I'll let you know a.s.a.p. my experience in the water.
Old 11th April 2008, 01:12 AM   #3
pfaffi

Thanks a lot! So the sticky feeling seems to be normal impression. What we found additional in our first test runs is the missing acceleration compared to the 161 in strong gusts on upwind course. Than the F161 starts flying and the F162 keeps moreless same speed.
Old 11th April 2008, 02:15 AM   #4
barks

Pfaffi: What fin are you currently testing with?
barks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2008, 02:56 AM   #5
J22W

Send a message via Skype™ to J22W

"the balance all time on front leg"

a way to fix is adjusting the triangle;
- move up the boom until you almost go to faer and you front foot starts lifting),
- get the mastfoot more back
- put the straps more forward (not the back only the forward footstraps off course)
J22W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2008, 10:14 AM   #6
pfaffi

Thanks for reply! J22W: the main point we found is a correct fast balance in "normal" conditions (boom height between mouth and nose, mast track at recommended position, barks: powerfull fin, R19, R18, G1,Hurricane5a...) just the point is at upwind course that in gusts the board did not start flying and accelerating because it keeps very flat and did not reduce the wetted surface and by this the balance turns automaticly more to the front leg. Sail downhaul ok.
Old 12th April 2008, 07:02 PM   #7
Unregistered

Arrow

Hi and i am using the st162 with a Severne CodeRed 11.0. I use the mast track position quite all far back with a R18 and the board flies. I used to put the mast track positio in the recommended setting and the board felt very shitty, sticked to the water. Try to put your mast track position about 5cm far back from the middle and dont even use a r19, I felt the board with an optimal angle but with poor speed. Good luck
Old 12th April 2008, 07:25 PM   #8
Unregistered

In 161 I've never used my r19 for 11 sail.Just used it for light air (12) .Will see what happens with 162...
Old 12th April 2008, 11:22 PM   #9
pfaffi

Will try asap! Thanks!! peter/pfaffi
Old 13th April 2008, 10:15 PM   #10
Unregistered

I used on the F162 the follow fins: Kashy XS 74-4 in 4 Degree and Hurricane FRB 4b in 651 (very soft ) 3 Degree, mast track position far back to the serialnumber of the board! The board is flying very impressive.