Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 13th April 2008, 03:18 AM   #1
mart

Default acid or kombat?

i sail mostly at sea and my sail quiver are 3.7 , 4.5 , and 5.3 severne s1 2008. my weight is 69kg. i own a acid wood 68 2007 and love it, it sails great. i want something a little bit bigger next to it to sail my 5.3. i have tried a 2008 evo wood 75 (borrowd from the shop) and i dont like it at all, i planes up earlier when i am on my acid 68 and the evo feels very heavy and big under my feet. it must be my surfstyle that doesnt work with this board because the evo is always tested very good in every magazine end forums. my question now is, does i order a acid wood 80 2008 or will it be better to order a kombat wood 79 2008?
mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2008, 03:45 AM   #2
mart

and sometimes i also sail on a lake as well. witch of the two boards does planes up earlier? witch one does feel lighter at the feet? witch one has a higher topspeed (with a 5.3 in 16 to 22 knots)? and witch one sails better upwind? and when i am sailing with my 4.5 sail witch one has the better highwind control? hope someone can help me with these questions. thanks and surf's up.
Old 13th April 2008, 05:43 AM   #3
Jean-Marc
TEAM

Mart,

Kombat if freeride > wave sailing
Acid if wave > freeride sailing

I have Acid 62 with 3.3 to 5.4 sails (wind range 20-40+ knots) and Kombat 86 with 5.4 to 6.9 sails (12-25+ knots). I weight 65 kg; dead onshore conditions on a lake most of the time, so great upwind ability is key feature.

Cheers !

JM

PS: Kombat 79 : max sail size for me is a 6.2 m2.
Jean-Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2008, 02:59 PM   #4
mart

i am looking for a 80 liter board so anything bigger does not fit the picture. i am going to use this board mostly at sea or a river with big chop(75% of the time i sail at sea). before i sail starboard i always sailed fanatic boards and they are compared with starboard super light at your feet. witch one does feel the lightest at your feet , the acid wood 80 2008 or the kombat wood 79 2008? i must also so that i am also sailing my acid 68 wood 2007 with my 5.3 sail and thats no problem at all , but when the wind is not so strong i am needing something a little bit bigger. but witch one is the question, the acid or the kombat?
Old 13th April 2008, 06:29 PM   #5
Screamer

"witch of the two boards does planes up earlier?"
Kombat

"witch one sails better upwind?"
Kombat

"when i am sailing with my 4.5 sail witch one has the better highwind control?"
Acid

You have to decide what is more important: a bit earlier planing/"light" wind performance or high wind control.
Since you already use Acid68, my guess is that you will gain more range overall with the Kombat.

Time for Ola to jump in.
Screamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2008, 06:46 PM   #6
Screamer

Maybe OT a bit:

Jean-Marc
I've noticed you often use sails bigger than recommended on various boars (K86+6.9; K79+6.2; hyper+10; etc). I know you're light and I have no reason to doubt your skill, but maybe someone may get the (wrong) impression these are the best match. People need to know their abilities, their conditions and intended use before they venture outside ideal gear combos.
No offence please ;-) I've made a lot of mistakes before I learned what works.
Screamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2008, 09:21 PM   #7
mart

thanks for your reply screamer, but witch one would feel lighter at the feet? maybe ola has a few comments on this topic. thanks guys.
Old 13th April 2008, 10:18 PM   #8
mike

I have the '06 Kombat 96L & '07 Pure Acid 80L. They both have a similar feel when each is powered up in their own ideal wind range. The Pure Acid was added to my quiver after the Kombat. I was advised to go with the Pure Acid because of it's similar feel to the Kombat (which I like) and because it has the best high wind control. A main difference is the wider tail of the Kombat which makes it generally feel lighter & plane easier but becomes bouncy if overpowered on the smaller end of the sail range for the board. Given that you already have a smaller Acid, it sounds like the Kombat 79 would give you the lighter feel in lighter winds (as suggested above). Interesting to see what Ola says as apprarently the Kombat has changed in '08.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2008, 11:21 PM   #9
davide

Quote:
Originally Posted by mart View Post
i am looking for a 80 liter board so anything bigger does not fit the picture. i am going to use this board mostly at sea or a river with big chop(75% of the time i sail at sea). before i sail starboard i always sailed fanatic boards and they are compared with starboard super light at your feet. witch one does feel the lightest at your feet , the acid wood 80 2008 or the kombat wood 79 2008? i must also so that i am also sailing my acid 68 wood 2007 with my 5.3 sail and thats no problem at all , but when the wind is not so strong i am needing something a little bit bigger. but witch one is the question, the acid or the kombat?
Hi Mart,

If I were you I would made the choice simple: base it on width, forget volumes (up to a point) since the numbers are not accurate. So: Acid 80 "better" then Kombat 79 (56 vs 57, if I remember numbers correctly), and give some very good consideration to an Angulo Chango 82 2008 which is 55. Even the Acid 74 at 54.5 might make sense paired with the Acid 68.

I am your same weight and last year I reorganized my high wind (3.7-5.0) quiver. I started with an Acid 74. This turned out to be a very nice board but way too big to have fun, for my weight, in 4.2 and below choppy/tidal conditions. So I got an Angulo Chango 65 (51 cm wide) that works beautifully in those conditions, and sails easily up to 5.0. The Chango is a sinker (and so probably is the Acid 68) but the Acid 54.5 sort of floats me with some attention, gets going very early and I can grab it when the wind drops.

Last edited by davide; 26th May 2008 at 01:51 AM.
davide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2008, 05:02 AM   #10
Ola_H
TEAM

Mart: K79 and PA 80 are rarther similar boards. One can say that the K79 has a bigger range when it comes to straight line riding, but the PA 80 has a bigger range when it comes to riding speed once one a wave. In other words, as mentioned in the thread already, the K79 may get going a bit earlier (and go better upwind when its really light) and it looses out only tad in the high wind department. But the wider tail will limit its speed range when turning on a wave without really adding that much in the slow speed wave riding department.

So, my guess is that you will be better off with the PA80. It will be more all round for the application you describe. But that said, you allready have a board in the PA68 that _almost_ covers all conditions, right? So if you see the biger boards as a real speciality board for light wind and if you primarily get crappy waves when you have light wind, that yes, the K79 will be slight bit more effective (and the 08 Kombat construction is also a fair bit lighter than PA80).

So as always, no easy choices. I'm your weight and have K79 which think is super nice. But if were in your clothes I would still pick the PA80.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote