Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 21st September 2006, 03:52 PM   #1
dimitri

Default question for Ian" iSonic or S-type

Hi,

I currently sail a 145liter F2 powerglide and a 104 s-type. I am 87 kg and mostly sail on the big lakes in the Netherlands i.e. flat to choppy water. From force 5 and up I sail on the s-type starting with a 6.7 saber and below. However, in force 3-4-5, I sail the powerglide predominantly using the 7.9 diablo and sometimes the 6.7 saber.

In force 4-5 and choppy conditions (which seem to be the most good sailing days here) I find the powerglide becoming too large (and a bit too dull) while the 104 s-type is too small. Therefore, for these conditions I want to change the powerglide for a freerace/slalom board (may even keep the powerglide for the family). I am thinking about an iSonic or alternatively a bigger s-type. For this board I am mainly looking for top speed in choppy conditions. Given what I have read about it, I would like the iSonic but I also really love the feel of my 104 s-type (and think the s-type may handle chop better?). Therefore, the following questions, as a replacement for the powerglide in mentioned 4-5 conditions with 7.9 - 6.7 sails:

- what would be the better choice, an iSonic or a s-type.
- which would be the better size (iSonic 125 or 115 or in case of s-type 126 or even 137).

kind regards,
Dimitri
dimitri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2006, 05:16 PM   #2
Ian Fox
STARBOARD

Default RE: question for Ian" iSonic or S-type

Hi Dimitri,

All of the boards in this seslection won't really work effectively in Bft3 (below 11 kts) especially if the conditions are choppy (which will make the board/s harder to plane up). Considering though that the condition might be less choppy for the new boards range Bft 4- 5 (11-20kts) than in Bft5+ (ST104) range, then the added efficency of the iSonic is probably a very attractive light-medium slalom conditions option.

To some extent the choice also depends on your ride style : if you really want a board to throw around and do some moves, then the ST is the better choice, but if you're more drag race/slalom in those conditions, then the extra bottom end of the iS (size for size) is also a good bonus - and iS doesn't handle to bad thru chop, especially moderate chop. The ST is an "easier" (less concentration) ride thru chop, but iS is very capable - and once you have the technique (not difficult) it's also pretty autopilot.

Considering the range of the ST104, the logical iS quiver choice would be iS122/125 - and if most of your Bft4-5 is more like Bft4 7.9m, then that would be the ideal size, with practical but not excessive range overlap to ST104. To get similar bottom end from the ST, you probably want ST137 more than ST126.

iS111 /115 is also a very good 7.9/6.7/87kg choice (looked at in isolation, as a single board, it would be the choice) but with the range of ST104 very close - and an excessive overlap at the top end (into ST104) and less range at Bft3-4 than iS122/125, the iS122/125 is a better quiver choice with ST104.

( Sidebar : In case you're really trying to push into Bft3 with this board , and plan more often in Bft4 (more than 5) with this new board, and especially if you like an "easy" planing style (rather than active style) , then you could even consider the iS133/135. That would still be practical with ST104 (minimal but OK overlap) and would give the best opportunity at the light end of range.)

Please let us know if you need more info etc

Cheers ~ Ian
Ian Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2006, 07:00 PM   #3
dimitri

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the (very quick) reply.

I think my style for this windrange would suit the iSonic better.

I would prefer the iS 125/122 so that matches your advice for the st104 and iS122 quiver but thinking about your 135 suggestion - and having taken notice of your advice that the iS 122/125 with 7.9 is ideal in bft4, so probably not-needed question - should I be worried about planing the iS122/125 (with active style) in the 12-18 knots range with a 7.9? (which would be the prevailing winds it would be used in, it may be used in more than 18 but it won't be used in below 12 knots). I understand that of course the 135 would always be the earlier planer in light winds anyway.

Dimitri
Old 22nd September 2006, 07:08 AM   #4
Ian Fox
STARBOARD

Hi Dimitri,

With a solid 12-18 kts/7.9m/87kg active style, you should be very sweet with iS122/125. In fact, ideal, in your conditions and to quiver with ST104.

Many guys who prefer the easy speed of the ST in higher winds/rougher conditions still prefer the extra efficency of the iS as a bigger "blasting" board in lighter (and less choppy) conditions than their mid-hi wind ST blaster.. It's very logical and very practical.

While the iS133/135 offers some early advantage over 122/125 to actually get planing in lighter conditions, if the conditions are choppy (as you mentioned) then -once planing and up to speed- most will prefer the "smaller" ride over the chop (in 12-18 kts) from the 122/125 c/w the 133/135.

Have fun !

Cheers ~ Ian
Ian Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2006, 07:19 AM   #5
Phill104

I have an st104 and an iSonic 115. I absolutely love the iS with 8.5-7.5 or with a 6.4 in flat conditions. When the chop gets up though the 104 comes out if I'm in a going fast mood (if not I switch to a K96). The 104 is still my favorite board even 2 years on but I didn't quite get on with the 126 hence the switch to th iSonic.

Having 3 boards of such a similar size mat seem odd but for me this gives me a huge range of conditions I can sail in. The iS can be quite tiring though but it is very fast.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
All the latest windsurfing news in one place.
Phill104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2006, 06:36 PM   #6
sergio

Hi, I`m 80kg and I use the same two boards, ST104 and iS105 and it works very well depending in water conditions more than speed wind.
In lake the iS+SSR8,6 and 7,6 are perfect but in Tarifa, 12-16knots moderate chopy, iS+8,6 is ok but problems begin with 7,6, rough chopy +18 knots. In this conditions the ST gives the control that we, the normal people, needs to go fast.
sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2006, 03:46 AM   #7
dimitri

Hi,

well, following the above, I got myself a 125 iS last weekend.

Sailed it monday in a good 4-5 with a 7.9 diablo. This was slightly overpowered in the gusts, but unbelievable how fast the iS already felt (and according to the guys on the beach actually was!!). The feeling was very similar to the ST, ie sort of a hovercraft/floating over the water type of ride, only the iS stays much flatter than the ST. This provided for a very safe and fast feeling. It was a bit more difficult to get planing than the powerglide, I think mostly because it is so much shorter and the pumping technique probably should be a bit different.

There is still a lot of tuning and adapting of my technique to be done (I now had some spin-outs (small fin) and almost no pressure on my front foot).

Anyway, yet another great *B and I can't wait to get out again!