Go Back   Starboard Forums > Windsurfing School

Old 20th April 2008, 05:36 PM   #1
erik

Default problem with front foot

Hi roger,

Today i sailed with my isonic 86 and 6.7 rs slalom and my front foot wanted to get out the footstrap al the time. What causes that problem?

can it be a wrong stance?

I lowered the boom, shortend the trapeze and change the mast position but it didnt work. It was very choppy and i was a little bit overpowered.

Greetings from holland.

erik
erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2008, 09:08 AM   #2
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Erik,
There are several things (some of them you already identified) that cause the front foot to come out of the front footstrap.
It could be your stance (I'd like a photo of you at full speed to really identify any stance problems).
Boom height can have a large impact on the weight (or negative weight) on your front foot in the footstrap.
Are you trying to keep weight on your front foot, or are you lifting slightly....?
Harness line length also can affect the + or - pressure on your front foot.
Footstrap spacing and position can have a large effect as well......where do you
have your footstraps placed on the board?
What fin are you using?
How you have your RS 6.7 m2 slalom sail rigged (too full maybe)? This could have alot of impact on your foot pressure.
Is your rig pretty much straight up, or are you "hooking it" slightly upwind (a little too much upwind if it's trying to pull you up off the board).
The Isonics (I haven't sailed one as small as the 86 liter so I'm basing this on larger 101 liter and 122 liter Isonics) like a nearly vertical stance (not leaning back too far) in the conventional "7" configuration.
Perhaps you are actually standing up too tall (hence very little side pressure on the footstrap to keep your foot in).
Try your boom at the absolute bottom of the boom cutout in your sail.
High booms are great for Formula racers, but slalom speedsters tend to run their booms
quite a bit lower. Just drop it way down and see how it feels, then move it back up incrementally until it feels the best.
Keep adjusting your boom height, shortening/lengthening your harness lines (trapeze),
and adjusting your stance until everything begins to balance.
Then "fine tune" to get that really perfect balance and mark all your settings so you can easily duplicate them on your next session on the water and use the previous "best balance" as your starting point next session.
Also, only make one change at a time.
Often we change the boom height, trapeze, and mast foot position at the same time thinking we can achieve a better "balance" but too many changes just gives a different
(not better) balance and it still feels out of whack.
Without seeing your stance, and perhaps sailing your rig, it's very hard to tell which of the many variables here is causing your problem.
Hope this helps,
P.S. one of the best ways to "balance" things out on the water is to get a set of good adjustable harness (trapeze) lines, so you can shorten/lengthen your lines and adjust your stance while at full speed (well, maybe not full speed, but something close).
Adjusting anything, at full speed, overpowered, in chop often means you go swimming/get wet/wipeout..... again!
Roger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2008, 01:07 AM   #3
erik

Default problem with front foot

Hi Roger,

I use the drake 6 srb ( stiffer layup then the drake pro)

I tend to pull the sail a little bit over me( towards the wind)

The position of the straps are back and front in the middle hole

I try to put pressure on the front foot.

I usally try to bent my back leg and strech my front leg.
erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2008, 01:40 AM   #4
Ken

Roger, erik,

I posted this once before, but I guess erik didn't buy my answer.

From my personal experience and in general terms, I find the following to be true on my formula, iS 111 and bump and jump boards:

At 90 degrees to the wind - beam reach - I have about 70% weight on back foot and 30% or less on the front. All of Rogers comments influence the distribution.

At 110 degrees off the wind - full reach - I have about 50 / 50 weight distribution on my feet.

At 70 to 80 degrees off the wind - pointing - I have 100% on the back foot, riding the fin, railing the board a bit to point higher.

I think anytime you are pointing a bit, the front foot becomes weightless. In stronger winds, there is a lot of pressure on the back foot. In lighter winds, the back foot and the mast base / booms take most of the weight. A more vertical stance and hanging in the harness helps rail the board a bit, allowing better pointing with very little weight on the front foot.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote