Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 24th April 2008, 08:41 PM   #1
RobSwift

Default Carbon Content

Fiberspar states on their website >>Remember, it's not necessarily how much carbon percentage is in the mast, but how that carbon is used. For instance, two different masts can be engineered with 50% carbon- one makes your sail feel alive and the other makes you sail feel stiff and dead in the water.<< Might this be true for 30% branded masts?
RobSwift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2008, 03:38 AM   #2
Expander

--

From an interview with Rossano BISIOLI, product manager at ITALICA S.p.A., one of world leader in carbon mast manufacturer (they made hi-end masts for North, Severne, Gaastra...)

(...)

Q: which is, from a technical point of view, best mast that ITALICA makes?

BISIOLI: now I want to say something that here (at ITALICA) marketing guys don't like; from my point of view, masts with a 80% percentage of carbon are the best in terms of performances, excluding masts longer than 4.90 mt.
Of course these masts have to be manufactured with pre-preg technique...

(...)
Expander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2008, 03:48 PM   #3
Hookipa18

Interesting, so for shorter masts you are better off with a lower carbon perc. Guess for longer masts weight is more of an issue.

Somebody told me that a very new team rider of Severne prefered the blue line masts for slalom/racing..
Hookipa18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2008, 09:58 PM   #4
Floyd

Default Optimum mast C%age

There`s been lots of folk on here who have said sails feel nicer and perfom better on 75% C masts than 100%.(Generally under 8 metre ish)
I`ve sold all my 100% (standard diameter) masts.
Tried lots of masts in 100% (NP /amex etc) but always found sails felt "dead" or as if mast was simply too stiff.
Regardless of what all the figures say I still reckon 100% masts (in standard diameter) are always stiffer than lower %age counterparts.
I even found top end was better (on Tush Storm 6metre) on 75% than on 100% !!!

Different story on RDM though !
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2008, 05:19 AM   #5
Anowan

from my personal experience this is true if you sail in the upper wind range of the sail, but if you tend to sail slightly "underpowered" then 100% is often better. Plus 100% masts are usually lighter, that makes the rig easier to handle in the manoeuvers, which is an important factor.
Anowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2008, 08:41 PM   #6
Expander

--

Above BISIOLI's citation is taken from article: "Mast, the backbone of sail" entirely readable (in italian) from

http://www.windsurf-roma.it/index.ph...=322&Itemid=59
Expander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2008, 02:11 PM   #7
geo

AFAIK Italica makes NP masts, while Gaastra masts are made from TRIANA; not sure about Severne (think TRIANA).
From a technical point of view, all other things being equal 100% carbon leads to high stiffness, so that to achieve required IMCS specs it could be necessary to 1) reduce mast outer diameter, eventually resulting in mast not complying with geometrical requirements (think about camber inducers' size) and/or 2) reduce wall thickness, resulting in extremely light but fragile masts (older Gaastra Ignitions?). In both may cases, less carbon content could be an easy solution to achieve the required specs. Also, while there is no problem at all with extreme lightness, consequent reflex response could be too much.
I own two 460/25 100% carbon masts with the same bend: a late '05 Gaastra Ignition (already beefed up) and a '06 Maui Sails. Since Maui Sails preferred to stay on the safe side, their mast is slightly heavier and with a narrower outside diameter. The Gaastra's base broke after a few sessions, had it replaced and keep it for backup; and sailed the Maui Sails for two full seasons now with no problem.

Last edited by geo; 1st May 2008 at 02:20 PM.
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2008, 03:56 PM   #8
Floyd

Question

Accepting previous posts nearer truth then why on earth do retailers (and some manufacturers) insist on peddling all the BS regarding 100%masts.
Profit rather than truth thats why !
Old 1st May 2008, 10:13 PM   #9
davide

Default RDM 95-100% Carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd View Post
Accepting previous posts nearer truth then why on earth do retailers (and some manufacturers) insist on peddling all the BS regarding 100%masts.
Profit rather than truth thats why !
There is also the RDM solution to consider. I use HotSails HotRod that are 92% carbon (the other 8% is a good amount of Kevlar in the boom area) and probably undestructible.

You can use them in wave, B&J and race sails. Yes, they are a bit heavier (say 100 grams for the longest) and people argue to no end that they might be a tiny bitsy bit slower then standard diameter.

But they make rigging a breeze, you have a lot of peace of mind, they last a looong time and cost about 1/3 to 1/2 less then a 90-100% standard diameter.

Last edited by davide; 1st May 2008 at 10:18 PM.
davide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2008, 01:20 AM   #10
Floyd

Default Different story on RDM though !

Davide
From earlier post
"Different story on RDM though !"
Totally agree
On all my sails (3.7 to 8) I use either 75% SDM or 100% RDM