Old 5th May 2008, 04:28 PM   #1
stevejean1@hotmail.co.uk

Default carve or futura

I Am Looking To Buy My First Board Ihave Had Lessons And Iam Looking For A Board To Practise And Improve On. Iweigh 196lbs And Will Mostly Be Sailing On A Lake In Winds Of 5-15 Ks Iwant Aboard That I Wont Outgrow Quickly And Ca Use In Stronger Winds As I Improve Thanks Steve
stevejean1@hotmail.co.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2008, 07:30 PM   #2
Screamer

Hi Steve

How much have you learned on those lessons, are you using harness, planing in footstraps? What volume board have you comfortably used? On a lake, in 5-15knots, at nearly 90kg you'll need a wide shortboard (80-90 cm) with a 10m rig, or a longboard. You'll need some experience to use such big rig, maybe something around 7.5 would be more appropriate in the beginning. Ask what other local sailors are using.
If I were you, I wouldn't rush to buy a new Futura. If you are learning, there's a good chance you'll ruin it (catapults, etc). As a first board, second hand GO or a larger Carve would serve you just fine.
Screamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2008, 08:13 PM   #3
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Steve,
Screamer has it right.
Even if your skills have progressed quite a bit, the windspeeds you are suggesting point to a couple of boards, (a displacement mode or long board 5-11 or 12 knots, and another planing mode board, like a Carve or Futura 12 knots and up).
I think the only board that Starboard currently offers that's good in both modes is the new 2008 Rio. At your weight, you would want the Rio L or Rio M I think as you are sailing primarily on fresh water with slightly less buoyancy that the sea.
Screamer is right on about you needing a pretty large rig as well.
7.5 would be a good size to start with, but if you are going to try to plane at anything < 12 knots of wind, you'll need something larger (and a wider board as well).
Hope this helps.
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2008, 01:19 AM   #4
stevejean1@hotmail.co.uk

thanks for the replies the only board ihave used is a205ltre with daggerboard and 6mtre sail . i learned on this board at a hire centre in the canaries.i had 10hrs of lessons and at the end i could sail up and down wind tack and gybe reasnonably but need alot more practice .i have been in the footstraps acouple of times had a harness on but not been able to use it. ihave not sailed at the lake yet but it is alot cheaper to pay an anual subsciption and launch youre own board than to pay to hire by the hour i intend to practice alot so my own board would make commercial sence thanks again steve
Old 6th May 2008, 02:37 PM   #5
Screamer

Steve
Look carefully what the conditions are really like. Most inland lakes I know are very light & holey, and sailing a shortboard, even very wide, is a slogfest. Even when you think it's blowing, the lulls are more frequent than the gusts. So if the wind is often below 10-11 knots, a longer waterline and a daggerboard (Rio, Kona, etc.) will increase your time on the water many times.

Good luck
Screamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2008, 05:09 PM   #6
stevejean1@hotmail.co.uk

Thanks Screamer and Roger I will take youre advice and let you know. Thanks again Steve.