Old 8th May 2008, 07:05 AM   #1
wsice

Default FF 138 vs Futura

Hi Roger.

I know the 2004 FF138 95cm board is one of your old favorites for early planing. Will any of the new large Futuras plane as early with a 9.0 sail for someone who weighs 72 kg? What about going through the lulls? I would presume the large Futuras have the advantage for jibing and chop, is that right?

Thanks.
wsice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2008, 07:03 PM   #2
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi wsice,
I cannot fully answer your question as I have not sailed the largest Futura yet.
My guess would be that the FF 138 and F-Type 138 (which I have sailed extensively but no longer have to make a direct comparison) will get on plane a little earlier due to the difference in width.
The FF/FT 138's are 96 cm wide.
The Futura 155 is 85 cm wide.
I have sailed the Futura 133 and from that experience, I would expect the Futura 155 to be a better jiber and handle chop better than the FF/FT 138's.
So, I suspect you are correct, and I will give you an update as soon as I sail the Futura 155 (it just came out of the repair shop yesterday due to some minor damage inficted by the board tests earlier this year.)
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2008, 10:55 PM   #3
Roly Gardner

Hi Roger,

Reading what you have said about the largest Futura, I wonder if this board might be suitable for me when I replace my Carve 144? It is the DRAM version from 2003 and is my first board. It is a little battered and I am thinking of up grading rather than having repairs etc.

I sail in 15/25 mph coastal conditions which tend to be quite choppy. I am around 75kg,quite athletic and 5' 6'' tall. My quiver includes 5m 5.7m 6.5m and 7.7m sails. I am not sure whether to go up in volume a bit for the predominant light wind sailing that I am going to do. It also opens up the possibility for me to perhaps progress to a 120 ish if I ever get good enough!

I have a possible testing day at my club coming up so hope to be able to have a go on one.

Roly
Roly Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2008, 12:13 AM   #4
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Roly,
Yes, the Futura would be a good replacement for your Carve 144.
But which one?
If you sail in 15-25 knot conditions, in the ocean, I would think you would want something quite a bit smaller (Futura 122/111/101) to match your sail sizes/windspeeds.
The Futura 101 might work with a 7.7 m2 rig, would be right at optimum with a 6.5 m2 rig, and would still be pretty good with a 5.7 m2 rig in 20 knots +.
But, you would give up entirely the winds < 12-13 knots.
So, I guess I'm confused.
If you truly have 15-25 knot winds, then your Carve 144 is very big for a 75 Kg. sailor.
If you went even bigger.... (Futura 144 or 155) you would need a larger rig than your 7.7m2 to take advantage of the early planing (maybe in 10-11 knots with an 8.5-9.0 m2 rig.) that the wider boards offer.
Somehow, I'm not making sense of the board you have, your rig sizes, your size, and the 15-25 knots of wind.
Hope this helps,

Last edited by Roger; 9th May 2008 at 12:16 AM.
Old 9th May 2008, 09:59 PM   #5
Roly Gardner

Hi Roger,

Thank yo for your reply. I am confused also as I am not sure what I am actually aimimng for in terms of kit. I thought that my Carve 144 would be good for learning on and subsequently for light wind sailing with larger rigs. Maybe I should be looking to add a smaller board in due course for smaller rigs in higher winds and more chop/waves.

Is this more sensible?

Roly
Old 10th May 2008, 09:33 AM   #6
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Roly,
OK, now I'm making a little more sense of this.
I think you could replace your Carve 144 with a Futura 155 to get a little more light wind performance, but having another smaller board for 18 knots and up would make your quiver of sails more meaningful.
I'd look for something in the 100-120 liter, range.
Hope this helps,
Old 10th May 2008, 10:30 PM   #7
mike

Hi Roly,

Hope you don't mind my 2 cents.

2 main questions come to my mind:

1. Your skill level
2. Your predominant wind level.

You said above that our main wind speed is 15-25 mph. Then you said mainly light wind sailing. 15 mph would be light wind, but 25 mph is not light wind.

I would suggest that if you want to sail mainly light wind sailing (15knots & less) then the big board route makes sense. If your sailing is mainly 15+ knots on coastal conditions, a smaller board like Roger suggests makes sense (then maybe fix the old board for the odd light wind day).

Your sail size range suggests a smaller board. If your sailing >15knots a smaller board will be much easier and more fun, though you should be waterstarting.

Last edited by mike; 10th May 2008 at 10:40 PM.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2008, 08:05 AM   #8
wsice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger View Post
Hi wsice,
I cannot fully answer your question as I have not sailed the largest Futura yet.
My guess would be that the FF 138 and F-Type 138 (which I have sailed extensively but no longer have to make a direct comparison) will get on plane a little earlier due to the difference in width.
The FF/FT 138's are 96 cm wide.
The Futura 155 is 85 cm wide.
I have sailed the Futura 133 and from that experience, I would expect the Futura 155 to be a better jiber and handle chop better than the FF/FT 138's.
So, I suspect you are correct, and I will give you an update as soon as I sail the Futura 155 (it just came out of the repair shop yesterday due to some minor damage inficted by the board tests earlier this year.)
Hope this helps,
Thanks Roger, I look forward to your update.

wsice
wsice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2008, 10:36 PM   #9
Roly Gardner

Thanks Roger, Thanks Mike,

This helps quite a bit. I am sailing in winds of 13/18 mph more often than not. It can get windier and I do go out in winds up to 25 mph but this is less frequent I must say.

My skill level is difficult to say. I can beach start, but not water start. I am planing ok and getting in and out of the harness, but cannot yet get in and out of the straps (as Roger knows well! ). I can gybe but not carve gybe.

I am some way from getting a smaller vol board but this is my aim which will hopefully get me out in slightly higher wind conditions.

Cheers All,

PS Sorry if you feel that I have hijacked your thread wsice, it was not my intention.

Roly