Old 16th May 2008, 04:53 PM   #1
Klint

Default Fitting of barrel nut

Hi Roger,

Due to damaged threads I wish to replace barrel nuts on an otherwise good fin. I have punched the bad barrel nuts out and will now insert the new ones. The fit of the first one is thight and just perfect whereas the second one fits a bit loose and will fall out if not fixed in to position in some way. What do you recomend to shim this loose barrel nut up? Permanent it with epoxy, or will this cause problems with the alignment later when I drive in the screws through the box?

Recieved the Duo cut weed fins you and other fellow WS recomended some days ago, looks nice really innovative design, will be interesting to try them out. The carbon finish is rougher than for instance G10 fins, what do you think about coating them with a thin layer of epoxy and then polish or simply going over the fins with a very small grit sandpaper?

thanks!

/ Andy
Klint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2008, 11:17 AM   #2
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Andy,
you could try a wrap of tape on your barrel nut, or cut a small wedge of plastic material
and install it with the barrel nut to tighten the nut in the bore.
You could also put some filled epoxy on the barrel nut and install it, but push it out the other side.
When the residual filled spoxy left in the barrel nut bore in your fin sets up, I think you will find the nut fits nice and tight.

I would not do anything to the finish on your Lessacher Design Duo fin.
Wolfgang makes some of the fastest fins in the world, and I'm sure he has done his homework and research (not to mention testing with some of the world's fastest sailors) and knows what finish is fast on a fin, and what finish is not.
Others have decided to "polish" Wolfgang's fins, and that's the last we ever hear from them, so I suspect that polishing or changing the finish is not a good idea.
I really have never seen a really fast fin that was highly polished.
They all have a somewhat dull finish to allow a good "wet out" to cut down the boundary layer.
Water slides best of water molecules on the fins surface. Water does not slid best on a polished surface with no water molecules adhereing.
Hope this helps,

Last edited by Roger; 20th May 2008 at 07:00 AM.
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2008, 03:36 PM   #3
Klint

Thanks for your always appreciated advice Roger.

Tried the Duo Weed 28 cm yesterday, fully lit with 7,0 nocam sail and S-type 115 on reasonably flat water, a brilliant combo. Yet no problems with weeds where I sail but the spot I choose yesterday is shallow. Really satisfied with the performance of the fin; fast, controllable, virtually spin out free (if not landing jumps with loads of lateral side force) and compact in comparison to other makes. A drawback in comparison to a straight slalom fin is upwind performance, but that goes for all weed fins as far as Iím concerned. From what Iíve seen I can highly recommend Lessachers fins.

/ Andy
Klint is offline   Reply With Quote