Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 25th June 2008, 08:39 AM   #1
James

Default Latest news on Phantom 380?

It sure is a good-looking board... but what's up with its availability and the "revisions" it was rumored to be undergoing several months ago? Does anyone have one of these "new" phantom 380s yet? The fact that it's been so long since we've heard about it makes me worry that there's a problem with its manufacture or something. Especially after reading this...

http://www.lbwindsurfing.com/opinion...of-longboards/
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2008, 08:10 PM   #2
Unregistered

Default longboard dilema

I have been following the longboard race board issues for a litle bit . I am thinking of buying one ( used or new ...?? i dont know) and starting to race like i did years ago with a Mistral Comp SST ( complete for $1300 ex VAT here in Canada 15 years ago... i gave it away).

I know of of a guy who has ordered one here in central canada other then that i havent heard anything other then the high sticker price(even at cost) .

As you know the only long boards available to race " competitively" are old F2s lightnings ( rare) equipes, mistral ODs, at least from what i have seen on the net. Konas while nice, cant compete with this old crop of racers so i dont count them in, and it is unlikley it will get a following with the hardcore racers in central US where i am located.
The whole issue here for me is will the new 380 out class the older raceboards?
While some look for the best performance money can buy, i am looking for better competition without being outclassed by the newest gear.
GO O.D. you say? well when there no fleet locally theres no use.
Ramping up production on the assembly line for a product like this is surely to cost the manufacturer quite a bit of moola straight up without any guarantee of sales.
Simply put sales are important and a company needs them.
Starboard like other companies like exocet seem to be feeling ther way slowly and methodically before they release a tried and true product.
The last few years have seen boards like the shorter phantom come and go, along with the hybrids ...a very confusing mix it seesm to me and evidence of some confusion at the manufactueres level as well.
Maybe it a if you build it they ( the buyers)will come.
they didnt seem to come out for the boards ive just mentioned so.... IMHO they are being carefull now.
shredulato
Old 25th June 2008, 10:29 PM   #3
James

"The last few years have seen boards like the shorter phantom come and go, along with the hybrids ...a very confusing mix it seems to me and evidence of some confusion at the manufacturers level as well."

Good thoughts, Shredulato. It looks to me like the Phantom 380 is a winner, but I guess after expensive experiments with white elephants like the hybrids, Starboard are taking the path of caution.

I sail a Kona now. It's a fun board and probably a great one-design, but it can't keep up with older raceboards and sailboats around a course, so opportunities for good competition are limited. That's where I think a Phantom 380 would shine. Just for once I'd like to spank the local sailboat fleet in their Wednesday night races. I came close a couple times when I used to sail formula, but the wind would always drop before the race was over.
Old 26th June 2008, 02:58 AM   #4
Joe

James - get a Serenity.
I raced mine against a local fleet and came 3rd (out of 20 mixed fleet - hobie's to 25' day boats). If I had used my 10.4 instead of my 8.5 and didn't wipe out on half of my jibes I think I would have won easily.
More practice jibing and downwind ...
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2008, 09:10 AM   #5
Screamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
Just for once I'd like to spank the local sailboat fleet in their Wednesday night races. I came close a couple times when I used to sail formula, but the wind would always drop before the race was over.
Joe is right.
Or, find an old Olympic Lechner or another Div2 board, forgotten in some garage. You will destroy them sailboats > (where's that mean gleeful smiley?)

Last edited by Screamer; 26th June 2008 at 09:12 AM.
Screamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2008, 10:45 PM   #6
James

Now the products page for the Phantom doesn't load. Seems this board is very aptly named!

Joe & Screamer- I might just take your suggestion; I demoed the Serenity once and was very impressed. Although with limited budget and storage space I'm more inclined to invest in a flat-bottomed raceboard with more all-around performance. I remember sailing a friend's Mistral Superlight II with a 10.9 and chasing down sailboats easily in 5 knots of wind.
Old 26th June 2008, 11:16 PM   #7
Remi
STARBOARD DEVELOPMENT

Hi All,

The Phantom Race is available now, and just win the German Championship. The construction is completely new since the World Title 07. The board is in Wood/Carbon and have some change like the dagger board of 78cm with a new profil, position of the dagger board, position for the track mast, position of the phootstraps insert, deep tuttle, new fin R19 48cm.

All the best

Last edited by Remi; 26th June 2008 at 11:20 PM.
Remi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2008, 03:18 AM   #8
rod_r

James, you can load the Phamtom page via the "my board" tab in products, but it's the old information.
rod_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2008, 10:09 AM   #9
Unregistered

Red face shredulato

you will have a hard time smashing just any sailboat fleet IMHO . I say that as i have sailed boards and boat for many years . Yeah theres the "dog" sailboats, but there are performance ones too. Without getting into the countless myriad factors , your best bet as one poster stated is a formula setup with barely planing winds.
I say that as I sail on a big OD class called a melges 24 and they rip downind when the wind gets over 15 knots. And they aint slow when its light either, 3 -7 knots even downwind in light airs the assymetrical spinnaker is something a board does not (yet..any ideas??) have.
Even symetrical spin boat can go deep to the downwind to the gybe gate/ mark while a board must play angles for best VMG.
you either need nuclear winds when they cant cope, or just barely planing winds when the dogs are still slow and perfomance sailboats cant get up and go.
again IMHO....
Old 9th October 2008, 12:01 PM   #10
Unregistered

Default Phantom 380 recall

Bump!

I have it on good authority that ALL Phantom 380s are being recalled. Please can an official source tell us what is going on. What's happening?

BTW I think a recall - if indeed there is one - is the responsible way to deal with problems and Starboard should be aplauded for admitting to problems and offering solutions. I'd just like to know what's going on.