Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 4th July 2008, 09:18 PM   #1
Unregistered

Default Fins for Kombat 122 Tufskin Size/Type

Hi,
im looking for some regards about fins for the Kombat 122.
The serial 36cm Freeride flow seems a bit small to me (since im abt. 110kg) wit a powered-up 7.5m sail. is it possible to use more slalom oriented fins, because i like to ride with more pressure on the back foot. to me it seems the board with the original fin dislikes to be driven over the back foot...

best regards, thorsten
Old 5th July 2008, 09:52 PM   #2
Unregistered

Wink Kombat 122 tuf of skin, and mute of comments

there seems to be very little feedback on these boards. I was considering buying the 122 Kombat , but being a bigger guy myself at 90 kilos and needing something that would go good in 14 to 17 knots days i decided i needed something less freeride.
As to your question , considering the freeride design of the kombats , which is less freeride then a wave board but more freeride then a futura or the carves, i think ( and i may be wrong) they are not back foot driven boards at all.
so you may find marginal gains with big fins and trying to power of the back foot.
Old 7th July 2008, 12:16 PM   #3
Unregistered

hi,
so far i used formula 175, sonic 125, go 139, which all tended to bear a good amount of back foot pressure...
i think the kombats (big sizes) are really underrepresented in this place, maybe because they are no good? iīve bought mine to replace the sonic 125 in my quiver since i need a board for my daughter to learn on but versatile enough to be used by me because transport space is limited...

maybe one of the team steps in here for recommendations?

best regards, thorsten
Old 7th July 2008, 06:12 PM   #4
Farlo

Hello, with your weight and a well powered 7.5 the ideal fin(s) are in the 40+ range. 42 is the recommended max. size for the Kombat 122, I guess you can give it a try. Obviously you won't get the same than with your Sonic, but it should improve a bit.
Farlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2008, 08:10 PM   #5
toddewoell

Hi Farlo,
will give my 41 Slalom fin a try next time...

regards

thorsten

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
toddewoell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2008, 07:33 AM   #6
Unregistered

Talking big finned kombat

keep us posted how she works with the bigger fin!!
as it could be info that will lead me to buy one.

shredulato
Old 10th July 2008, 05:28 PM   #7
Pacs

Send a message via MSN to Pacs Send a message via Yahoo to Pacs
Question One question about Kombat Tufskin

hi thorsten,

Does the kombat tufskin has the "3 strap" set like freewave boards?

Im talking about a back and centered 3 straps set, not the forwarded/begginer set.

Regards,

Paco
Pacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2008, 06:45 PM   #8
Farlo

That's good question. Additionaly, with an ex-centered strap position, Tuttle box and ~46 cm OFO, the 122 may accept even longer fins than 42.

Last edited by Farlo; 10th July 2008 at 06:47 PM.
Farlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2008, 01:28 PM   #9
toddewoell

Default strap position

there is no 3 strap setting, which you can find easily in the product photo.
it has slightly off-centered back-straps, since the tail is wide.
couldīt test yet, work sucks...

regards thorsten

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 17th October 2008, 02:10 PM   #10
toddewoell

Default Fins tested

Hi,
recently managed to test the board with larger and other fin.
It were marginal conditions to put me on the plane with 7.4m sail...
First tried the "extreme" Way with a drake shallow 410, didnīt work quite well but it took the pressure. next try on a 32cm lessacher duo rake 30 wide, same problems as with the original fin, tail fading away. at last on a 35cm lessacher duo rake 30 wide, which worked as i wanted the board to behave.(Thanks to Wolfgang for letting this precious items to me for the test) The fin delivers good lift plus a good amount of directional stability (which i personally prefer, cause iīm not a trickster)
since i had limited transport space for my quiver on that day, i had no other (slalom) fins with me to test them. but will do that next time. But more keen to see how the 32cm works in the stype 104...

regards, thorsten