Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 9th July 2008, 07:30 AM   #1
MartinJE

Default Gath Helmets

Hi

Does any one use a Gath Helmet, and care to comment on their experiences?

How are the "convertible visors" or "retractable visors" for eye protection; draining; and misting?

Thanks for your insights - Martin
MartinJE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2008, 07:58 PM   #2
Philip

Nice item for when things are moving along. For cold temps I use some neoprene inside for a bit more heat retention. For really extreme temps I still use either sun or neoprene hat. With the visor I ended up duct tape it in the 3/4 up position as a simple sun shade to complement my sunnies- one less thing to worry about. Is the second Gath I have used. Each edition is an improvement design wise and with some playing about with the extra stick on strips around the inside of the helmet you can make a comfortable fit. Strap is good and not noticeable.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2008, 02:16 AM   #3
steveC

I have been using the Gath helmet for many years, but only the design with the neoprene across the forehead section (no visors). I should point out that I always wear it while windsurfing, regardless of the wind speed or sail size. I kind of view it in the same way as seatbelts in a car. Excellent insurance in case of a problem. Also, wearing the helmet really does prevent heat loss off the top of your head.

The Gath helmet design is very light and close fitting (it was originally designed for surfing), and all the internal padding is closed cell so it doesn't take on water, so absolutely no problem with mildew or odors. Another feature of the helmet's design is that doesn't affect or limit one's peripheral vision in any way.

No question in my mind, the Gath helmet is the benchmark product design for watersports like surfing, windsurfing or kiting.
steveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2008, 06:09 AM   #4
DavMen

Red face

I have a Gath and highly recomend it - I think its the surf hat model -detachable ear muffs, same as steveC - all he says is true.
Once you've had it on for 5 minutes or so you wouldn't even know you're wearing one, unless some one tries to talk to you (cant hear very well) - keeps you nice and warm this time of year (sydney winter). And offers sun protection for the follicaly challanged.
DavMen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2008, 06:39 AM   #5
Unregistered

Default Gath helmet

Good morning,

Excellent comments from those above.

I have the Retractable Visor model and find it excellent (got it after being tapped on the head by the mast, 3 times in 1 day).

I use the helmet all the time but mainly drop the visor down when sailing in rain: the raindrops really hurt when sailing fast-ish. In sun, I drop the visor part-way down to provide extra shade over my eyes and eye glasses.

The latest models seem to have better optics: the curve of the visor is not so noticeable compared to earlier models.

In terms of water draining, there is no problem. Any trapped water just flushes out, usually around your shoulders, so you don't notice it.

No problem with misting. We are currently sailing in airtemps of 8 - 18 deg. C. and I think the visor being away from your face, combined with the turbulent airflow, keeps the visor clean.

I prefer the white colour. I've been in trouble with gear breakage a few times and think that, if someone's coming out to look for me, the white stands out more than the other colours. Also, in summer, the white tends not to fry your head because it reflects some of the heat, compared to other colours.

I bought a slightly bigger helmet size, to allow the use of a 1.5mm neoprene liner on top of my head/under the helmet. Yes, I'm follically challenged, but as you know, about 30% of your body heat departs through the head. I don't use the liner in summer and the slightly looser fit of the helmet is not a worry.

After use, I give the visor a quick flush with fresh water, then roll the visor back into the helmet (to protect it). After use, I keep the helmet in its own cardboard box, to stop it from being marked during travelling.

If you carry your sail on your head, it's best to take off the helmet. Its plastic rubs against the sail and will soon leave a distinct mark.

Hope all this helps,

Regards,

Windman
Old 11th July 2008, 05:43 AM   #6
DavMen

Exclamation

If you do carry your sail on your head, I recomend you remove your Gath first. The Gath does have a tendency to pop pure monofilm panels especially if there a season+ old ! Just clip the Gath on your boom before carrying the sail on your head.

- I use Ezzy's so no problem with these grid type sails.

Last edited by DavMen; 11th July 2008 at 05:46 AM.
DavMen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2008, 07:40 AM   #7
MartinJE

Smile

Thanks guys - much appreciate the feedback - Martin
MartinJE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2008, 11:21 AM   #8
mitchiedog

Im interested in the gath helmets too. useful info above thanks. One thing I have also heard is the effect that the ear protectors have on amplified wind noise. Is this a problem at all? Others have mentioned that the noise takes a bit of getting used to, since your hearing is quite important for assessing wind strength on the water.
mitchiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2008, 11:58 AM   #9
Philip

Ear protectors are really good. On mine they adust by rotating a fitting. While the wind noise is different, in practice it is not a issue. For me the magic position is 2/3 closed; each to their own.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2008, 01:46 AM   #10
steveC

The models that I have owned are an older version with open slits. However, I have to wear earplugs to prevent ear infections so any wind noise is suitably muffled. I can still hear sufficiently with earplugs and the helmet, so I'm quite content. If you find the wind noise bothersome, you might want to try wearing earplugs.
steveC is offline   Reply With Quote