Old 25th August 2008, 11:38 PM   #1
leysenkr

Default Kode Fins

Is there a possibility that the Kode will be made with a Powerbox instead of a US Fin in the future?
It is difficult to find US box in Europe.

I started windsurfing 2 years ago. For the moment i'm surfing with the Aero 117. Now I'm looking for a smaller (+- 95L) board to surf in a higher windrange.

Last edited by leysenkr; 25th August 2008 at 11:51 PM.
leysenkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2008, 05:02 AM   #2
qldsalty

Talking Kode fins

This has been an issue since 2005 when the kombats came out. Sure there is an argument for US box on the smaller sizes but the 95 and 105 sizes I think it is a not so good decision.

Starboard use mainly Tuttle which is great on the other freeride and slalom boards, but on these kodes it is very hard to replace .

I have broken two US fins out of my Kombat 105 and this year have gone to an alternative to get power box.
The hassle of fiddling with the bolts and plates etc, when all you want to do is get on the water is so annoying. The flex in the box is too much when you put drive into a turn with larger sails. My fins rip out just behind the bolt at the weakest point.

The new Kodes look like great boards but that US fin in these two sizes is such a put off.

The fins available in power box for this range of board is a lot wider and larger.
Old 4th October 2008, 07:42 PM   #3
leysenkr

Hello Team

Is it possible to answer my question?

Kind regards
Kris
leysenkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2008, 08:35 PM   #4
Ola_H
TEAM

I think its highly unlikely. (And I don't think its very hard to find US box fins either. Most brands produce US box versions of wave and crossover fins).

The smaller Kombats are really wave/freestyle/crossover boards and when you go between different fin setups you do want to change the position quite a lot (wave forwards, B&J/straightline blasting back). I agree there are limits to how much a US box can take, but for that kind of power sailing you would be better off on a small Futura. Qldsalty, what kind of fins did you break. G10 like the original Drake Crossovers? I would think such a fin would hold up very well, at least of to 30cm size.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote