Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 9th September 2008, 03:05 AM   #1
Unregistered

Smile Evo 83

Hi!

I have ordered Evil Twin 74 waiting for it to arrive, looking to complement the ET74
with a Evo 83 (2005). The question is the Evo 83 2005 a fast and got enough float to be
a good cross over board from 5.3m or maybe some times gusty 4.7m sails? How is the 2005 model compared to the 2008 model Evo 80? Is there actually any volume diff between E83,E80?

I intent to use the ET 74 in 3.7 - 5.3m and the Evo 80(3) 4.7m - 5.3m mainly cross-onshore, I'm 83 kg. (Ola H) Would this be a good combo?
Old 9th September 2008, 01:01 PM   #2
Ola_H
TEAM

The EVO 83 is a 2006, isn't it? There was only one year that size was 83. Both the 83 and newer 80 (which is the same 07 and 08 and rather similar 09) will easily handle also powered up 5.3 at your weight when you want some more board power for onshore and stuff. They both do float and ride also in rather decent waves too, but here the 07/08/09 has an edge. Gusty 4.7 is also OK on both boards. Even I have been doing it with my measly 70 kilos. Again though, the more powered up you get and the faster you go, the more the 07 and newer will have an edge.

I don't know exact volumes, but by look and feel, I think there might be 2 or 3 liters in between them. Most is in the rails - the newer boards have thinner rails.

I think you'll be happy with both the 06 and 07/08 as complement to the ET74. If price is a factor, you can safely go with the 83. But when you sail them side by side, I think its rather clear that the 07 is a more refined shape and in the end it will cover more conditions in a composed way than the 83.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2008, 03:19 PM   #3
Unregistered

Thanks OLA_H for the prompt reply!

Yes it's a question of price and also the ET 74 will be my primary board hence spending the big bucks.. The E83 is something the came up to a reasonable price, I have wounder a bit if ET 74 would feel small in gusty up and down 5.3m or 4.7m. Also it's easier to change board instead of re-rig.

I suppose yo could put a bigger fin on the E83 to get more fin drive and more b&j performance , which could complement ET74 well.
Yes, E83 is a 2006 model.
Thanks ola!