Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 9th October 2008, 05:22 AM   #1
mim

Default what board in a 100liter range???

Hi,

I am now looking for a third board to complete my colection. I can't get an 09 model because of the price...

Now I have a S-type 137, which is my board for a light wind, used with 7.0 or 8.5. It is not exactly easy to get plannig, but once it goes and the water is more or less smooth it is pretty fast.

The second and my favourite one is Aero 117. Which I use currently with sails 5.0 5.9 or 7.0. i like it because once you are back in straps and there is enough power in the sails the boards kicks you onto plane. The turns, jibes and controll over the chop is very good. Generally the feeling from riding is very nice for me.

Now what I am looking for is this:
A board in the 100liter range, which could be used for a high wind blasting in a very choppy conditioins (up to 1.5meters). Partialy to be used in waves as well. I was thinking like 20+ knots and sails 4.5 5.0 and 5.9. I am not so much for the modern tricks, maybe i will come to this later, like the max what I am dreaming of is an airjibe.

I am 90 - 95 kg, and I am not exactly expert but I usually get going...

What I thought about is this:

1. Kombat 97, 07
2. Kombat 107, 07
3. Kombat 89, 08
4. Kombat 96, 08
5. Kombat 105, 08

Could you please suggest what could be the best choice for me?

PS: I don't know how I can handle some submarine-like board, since I never was on such a small board, unfortunatelly I can not try it somewhere because there is nobody to borrow me such a thing...not in this time (cold and not so sure wind).

Thank you for your advices.
Ciao Michal.
mim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2008, 04:00 PM   #2
Screamer

Hi Mim

I use K86 for those sails (85kg). You could use all three Kombat sizes:
89 - probably need more experience than you currently have, and not ideal with 5.9
9x - probably the best choice
10x - if you want more security in the beginning, but less fun with smaller sails and maybe too close to your Aero
I think the best choice for you is a Kombat97(96), ideal for your sail range and chopy/wavey conditions. A word of caution: it's a sinker for 95kg, and you mention cold weather and variable wind. It can be slogged with some experience, but don't get caught far away from shore, unable to waterstart. I still think you should go for it, a little harder in the beginning, but more rewarding in the long run.
Screamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2008, 04:26 PM   #3
Jean-Marc
TEAM

Mim,

Agree with Screamer: go with Kombat 96/97 for your weight. I remember an old post from Ian (95kg) saying he was more efficiently blasting pedal to the metal (you can trust him in that aspect) in high wind on a Kombat 95 than on a Kombat 85 simply because he had more leverage and more "push/power" on the wider tail block of Kombat 95, even with a small 4.x sail.

Cheers !

JM
Jean-Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2008, 05:17 PM   #4
mim

Default hey guys

thanks for the reply. I thougth as well that 97/96 would be the best choice. Waterstart is not a problem if there is enough wind to get me planning once I am up, it's fine.

I believe it will be good and much fun.
Thanks,
ciao M.

PS: JM...hope the wind comes back to Switzerland soon...
mim is offline   Reply With Quote