Old 21st October 2008, 10:19 PM   #1
Tom Aylott

Default New board

Hi

I've currently got a carve 145 which I love but as I have progressed and now sailing mostly in the sea in choppy conditions and a lot higher wind I quite often find it too big. I'm considering whether to trade it in for a smaller board or maybe keep and buy a second board. Biggest consideration I have is size as I'm a heavier than average sailor (95kg ish) and am still learning, so don't want to go too small, plus cost is also a consideration.

If I got something like a 110 to 120 litre cross over would there be any point in keeping the 145?

Cheers

Tom
Tom Aylott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2008, 08:18 PM   #2
mike

If there are a good number of days when the Carve 145 is the right board, then keep it. The value of those extra sessions when the wind is light is probably > the $ you get on a used board.

I'll let someone else suggest a smaller board as your weight is higher than mine. Consider to try for a 2nd board that has a sail size that can be used on either board, that is, the big sail on the small board is the small sail on the big board.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2008, 01:41 AM   #3
Chris Pressler

Hi Tom,
you could keep the big board and catch a smaller sized one like the Futura 111. I have 83 kg and would take a Futura 101, but you are heavier. You could sell your Carve and get a Futura in 122 or 133. How are your sails sized and are you on the water in nonplanning conditions, too.
Keep me updated,
Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Chris Pressler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2008, 03:32 PM   #4
Tom Aylott

Chris

My sails are 3.5, 4.5, 5.5, 6.5 & 7.5 most used are the 5.5 & 6.5 though

Mostly now I'm only sailing on planning days but do occassionally have a day where the forecast is wrong!

If I sold the 145 and got a 122 would it be sufficient for non planing days? or would it be too big for really windy/choppy days?

Cheers

Tom
Old 24th October 2008, 02:07 AM   #5
Ken

Tom,

At 95kg a 122 will just about be a sinker. In 5-10 knots, it will be a real dog which won't be much fun. Tacking and jibing will be a little to very difficult depending on your skills. The 145 will slog along fine in light winds and will be much easier to tack and jibe.

At your weight, the 122 should be fine for winds up to 20-25 knots. Over 25 knots, the 122 will be a handful.

For the 122 to plane, you will need about 15 knots of wind and some pumping.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2008, 06:04 PM   #6
Chris Pressler

Ken is right, but once you move the 122 works. YOu can use the 7,5 quite well, too. For very light conditions you could think about a bigger sized sail. Keep the 145 and get a smaller sized Futura. The 122 is a sporty one and you will have fun for a long time. Thinned out nose and very well cushioned in choppy water. One of my favourites. The 101 is also great, but you will need a lot of wind to have fun.

Have fun,
Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Chris Pressler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2008, 11:59 PM   #7
peterggg

I agree with the earlier comment about keeping the 145 l. I'm 100kgs and looking to change my board setup. I've had a C 111 as my only board for 5 years and it works for me in, say, 18 - 30 knots. I never ride a sail bigger than a 7.5m2 on it and the smallest I go is 5.0m2. I have sailed it in nuclear Gorge conditions but it was a handful in the air.

I'm looking now at a Kode 122 as my 13-23 knot board and then someday getting something around 104 l for 20+. So for you, I would keep the 145 for 10-20 knots and get something on the smaller side (111 or smaller) as a 20+ board.

Peter
peterggg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2008, 12:30 AM   #8
Tom Aylott

Thanks for the responses. Seems like the 122 is the one for me, bit wary about going any lower than that at the moment with my skill level.
Old 30th October 2008, 09:04 PM   #9
mike

Tom. Just a comment about skill level and board size. If you can waterstart & plane in the straps, then board size is more a function of wind strength. If the wind is really stong, it takes more skill to hold down and control a big board. Ideally, you want a size that goes with the majority of your sailing conditions. I don't think you need to error on the big size if you have the 145L as an option for lighter days.

I note above that you sail mostly 5.5 to 6.5 (which is small for a 145L board). I also note that 5.5 to 6.5 is the low end of the recommended sail size for the 122L (which has a huge 72cm width).

Having said the above, I'm 15kg lighter than you, so put most weight into what other heavy weights say.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2008, 04:44 PM   #10
John Kemsley

Tom

I,m your weight and a 110 is just uphaulable if required.
John Kemsley is offline   Reply With Quote