Old 12th November 2008, 03:59 PM   #1
torc

Default Which GPS?

Hi. I am a "re-born" windsurfer 4 years now after about 17years(!) absence from the sport. I have got well into Formula Windsurfing (2. year now) and plan to expand into slalom in one or two years time.

But now I want to get a GPS and need some tips. I have seen that some sailors use the Garmin Foretrex 201 (which is a quite old product now...?) but I have figured about the Garmin Forerunner 405, which I guess I can use more "multi-sport"-wise; windsurf, running, cycling, cross-country skiing (I live in Norway)- But then again; will it work "good enough" for windsurfing?

I now do mostly sailing on my own (not many sailors where I live), but hope to attend local/national regata sailing in the years to come. So I am greatful for any advice about GPS for windsurfing and/or multi-sport. Thanks in advance.
torc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2008, 05:42 PM   #2
Ola_H
TEAM

The one to get is on of the new doppler based units. Amaryllo trip tracker or Locosys GT11 (same unit, different names). I think there is a newer version of the basically the same unit but with bluetooth connectivity called GT31 or something.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2008, 12:24 AM   #3
Ken

Go to GPS-Speedsurfing.com. You will find a lot of info. on GPS's.

Ken
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2008, 04:23 AM   #4
willy

No any doubt, go for the GT-31 it is the only GPS that records Doppler Speeds, the GT-31 tracks 12 satellites every second, Garmin GPS units track only 4 satellites every 2 seconds, garmins are things of the past.
GT-11 is the same as GT-31 but with Sirf 3 chip for low battery usage, with GT's you can us memory cards in it and record months of sailing,biking,rowing,jogging,etc. and download it directly to your comp, no other can.
willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2008, 04:10 PM   #5
tlawes

Hi guys, competed at Weymouth this year and know Zara Davies (UK Speed champion) very well. On her advice and from observation of the other competitors, most people are using the GT-31 (or still have the previous GT-11), very good unit, long battery life, good software support (even for me on an Apple), and really good on the water as it shows you your current and peak speed from last run, which automatically updates on each run, all you need to do is look at the screen at the end of the run to see your speed. The setup is easy (albeit the language is not intuitive, you need to read the guides). These are easy to follow, check out the manual, speedsailing.com or Dave White's page.

I have a 1GB SD card in there which gives you really long data logging periods, but you don't actually need one.

Also, if you're half serious about speed, then you must have doppler to post the results on the various speed sites. Non-dopplers overread and hence are not respected.

I run the GPSResult software with this unit, following advice from others again. Not expensive and has some REALLY nice features beyond the instant analysis of your runs. This includes automated export to the speed website. You can download the demo (wait until you have some data to put into it) to try it and believe me, you will want it!

You can check it out at
http://www.gpsresults.com/description.html
Scroll down a bit to see the google earth overlay, with analysis. Its REALLY easy to do this.

Quite happy to answer any specific questions if you have any.

Tim
tlawes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2008, 11:38 PM   #6
geo

After having used a Garmin 201 (well, 4 of them actually) for 3 seasons now, my idea about which GPS unit to get is: try to understand which one is the most sturdy and reliable and get that one, completely disregard everything else.
Of course GPSSpeedsurfing.com people won't recognize your speed World record if not logged on a Doppler unit, but who cares.
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2008, 02:19 AM   #7
Phill104

I've abused my gt-31 quite a bit and it is still as good as new. I cannot recommend them enough. Before that I had a number of Garmin units fail or crash mid session.

Just to add to what OlaH said, the GT-31 is the standard version, the BGT-31 has bluetooth. I would go for the standard version.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
All the latest windsurfing news in one place.
Phill104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2008, 10:14 PM   #8
willy

Hi there,
I am a GT-11 fanatic as I own one of them and use it full time for windsurfing and my son kitesurfing since two tears ago -also tested a friend's garmin- always use it in an Aquapack because of the crashes.I am close the buy the new GT-31 as it has the sirf3 chip that saves battery but most important for me is the usage of memory cards so i have the data of months altogether in it and insert it in my comp, of course if you have bluetooth in the comp you could buy the GT-31 with bluetooth too, but as Ola and Phill say, it is not a must.
willy is offline   Reply With Quote